Author Topic: Christopher Johnston b.1876  (Read 9960 times)

Offline ZuluDiver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christopher Johnston b.1876
« on: Saturday 12 September 09 15:42 BST (UK) »
Good Day:

I'm looking for biographic information on Mr. Christopher Johnston, born in 1876 in North Shields (Northumberland County), who was a resident of Chirton and was awarded in 1903 a Master seaman's certification in Sunderland. If possible, kindly provide the birth date, death date, a photograph and list any known descendants still living, please. Many thanks.
North Shields (Northumberland County); Sunderland (Durham County)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Johnston b.1876
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 September 09 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat
This is a difficult one with so little to go on.   How do you know these details?    The 1881 census is free to search on www.familysearch.org so that might be a place for you to start if you have not already got it.    www.freebmd.org.uk has very good coverage of births at that time too.    It is unlikely that anyone will be able to provide exact dates and you will have to purchase certificates to get those.   
I regret that Rootschat does not allow any mention of living people.
Regards
Andrea

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 September 09 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
Had to laugh at your request. Made me laugh anyway, you do have to do some research yourself you know lol/ I did find Christopher on the 1881 census with his parents and siblings. If you look at FamilySearch.org on the net you put his name, year of birth, and you know he was born in North Shields area about 1876 you will find some info about them living in Chirton.
If you want photos you will have to get someone in his family. As far as I can remember poor people didnt have many photos in 1876.
Good luck
Sandymc   
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline ZuluDiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 September 09 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

Many thanks for the prompt reply and suggested direction. The information I quoted was obtained by searching data in the 1881 census; the 1891 census also confirmed the existence of the same person (Mr. Christopher Johnston), but at that time he was 15 years of age. I understand and accept your challenge to me which will be: how do I know that the person I selected from the census data is the one I' looking for, and asked about? Obviously, it is just a hunch on my part, but I also relied upon the knowlege that Mr. C.Johnston was the Master of several ships (steamers) and his certification was obtained in Sunderland 1903 (Certificate No. 033853; I have a copy of his voyage records), on which document it is stated that he was born in North Shields in 1876. As you recommended, I'll try querying the databases on familisearch.org and freebmd.org.uk. If you can think of other ways to find information about this gentleman I'd be very greatful. Thank you.

Offline ZuluDiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 September 09 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy,

Yes, I did do a preliminary search in the areas you suggested and obtained the same information as you reported.

Since I'm not a resident of the northeast, and am very unfamiliar with the best way to go about these types of inquiries, I admit I may have been too gullably attracted to the heading of the chatroom's name: Northumberland Lookup.

Please excuse my ignorance and thank you for looking up information on my behalf.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 September 09 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Zulu
Thanks for your reply. I think if you wait awhile someone will come on and see your request and help you better.  There have been people looking for sailors etc before and there is bound to be someone who can put you in the right direction for that. To me it sounds the best way to go. Also, maybe if you put some more names on your profile, like I have, you will probably get some living relatives contacting you as there are thousands of peeps come on this site looking for present as well as past relatives. 
Good luck, I am sure you will be here for years enjoying the chat and helping others soon
regards
Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline ZuluDiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 September 09 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the suggestions. I intend to hang around, wait and see what comes up as others begin to surf and wonder in.

Please clarify what you mean by "put some more names on your profile, like I have." Are you recommending that I disclose more info about myself, male/female, where I'm located, etc.? I have no problem doing that, it is just that I did not notice an option to do so during the registration process.

On another front: I have visited freebmd.org.uk and picked up birth and death data about a Mr. Christopher Johnston, who I believe is the person I'm searching about. However, I'm at a loss to understand how to go forward; for example, it shows that Mr. Johnston was born in the first quarter of 1876, and the record is reflected on the Register's page 300; then the entry shows the District as Tynemouth, Vol. 10b page 189. Similar data is available for a deceased person with the same name who passed in 1932. Do you know what use can be given to this data so as to proceed with my investigation?

Thank you for your assistance.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 September 09 20:28 BST (UK) »
Kew is the place for many records for mariners and Lloyds Captains Register at the Guildhall Library may well hold more information about him but you already have his certificate if I read your post correctly.   See http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/capintro.htm
Did he marry?   Have you searched the 1911 census?  
1911 census tips http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355239.0.html
I am not really sure what you want to know.    We generally work backwards here on rootschat.   Can you connect your family back to him with certainty?  Or perhaps he is not a member of your family?
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 September 09 20:35 BST (UK) »
The freebmd data is the reference number needed to purchase the certificates.   You can buy them online from the General Register Office.  They cost £7 each.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
Alternatively you can write direct to the office in Tynemouth and send a cheque if you are in the UK.  Do be aware that Johnston and Johnson are often interchangeable and look for both spellings when you search.

I think you should look at our beginners' board tips.  There is lots of information on there which will help you.
Andrea