Author Topic: Christopher Johnston b.1876  (Read 9959 times)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Johnston b.1876
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 00:30 BST (UK) »

Mother Dorothy Ann Johnston, nee Hogarth (most censuses give her birth place as South Shields.

She and Thomas married in March Qtr 1863, within Tynemouth Reg District.

Their son Christopher married Sarah Elizabeth Fletcher , March Qtr 1891 ( on Census 1911 they decalare to have been married 20 years)

Later children, after Alice Young Johnston, were Stanley, Cyril and Harold.

Christopher's birth registered in March Qtr, 1876. Shown as 5 yrs on C1881, then 15 on C1891- but as 33 yrs on 1901... instead of 25 yrs ( On C1911 as 43 yrs)  Big error margin of 8 yrs ?.   Maybe when done by his parents- done accurately, but not when left to his own devices ?
~~~~~~~~-----------

Be aware that there was at least one other Christopher Johnston in North Shields/Tynemouth area, also connected with river/sea

One Christopher - birth registered Sept Qtr 1879, Tynemouth District, of parents Robert and DOROTHY ANN ( Robert Johnston/ Dorothy Ann Storey marriage registered June Qtr 1865, Tynemouth)

("Your" Christopher's father, Thomas, had a younger brother called Robert ! )

This couple Robert/Dorothy Ann named children Jane E ( maybe Thomas and Robert naming their first dtr after their mother, Jane ? ) Priscilla, Hannah Isabel, Michael Robert, Christopher, and Dora Annie.

It was this younger Christopher Johnstone who married in 1902- he married Jane Lizzie(Elizabeth Mills.

On your list you have the Christopher marriage after the births of those three children ( but he married in 1891- before the births of those three dtrs !

Michael

----------------------------------------------------------------------

When the census enumerator recorded an occupation, e.g. "Mariner" , sometimes another official added an annotation for categorisation , e.g. " Seas".... E.g. the category "Fitter" added to the occupation " Steam Engine Maker"
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline ZuluDiver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christopher Johnston b.1876
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 02:15 BST (UK) »
Michael:  Thank you so much for your research efforts and input; I'm amazed!!

It looks as though the Johnston Family was quite numerous. Father Thomas had 7 children, and thanks to you I now kow that Christopher had at least 6 children.

Just a quick check on Christopher's wife: you indicate that her name was Sarah Elizabeth Fletcher, born 1891 in South Shields. My information is that he married Sarah C. (ne้ ?), born 1876 in Sunderland, County Durham. Would you mind taking another look, please?

Once again, my thanks for your contrbution.

Zulu

North Shields (Northumberland County); Sunderland (Durham County)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 October 09 00:19 BST (UK) »
Zulu,

I did not say anything on Sarah E Fletcher on birth year or birth place ( But Census 1901 - ref 4800-124-6, has her aged 33 and NorthShields-born... 1911 has her 43 North Shields-born)

I said she married Christopher in 1891- then they had Lily in mid-1892.

I think you are reading her name as "Sarah C " on Census 1901.. It looks like "Sarah E " to me. The North Tyneside Register Office and FreeBMD have marrying Christopher in early 1891 and her name as Sarah E/lizabeth.

You say your info has her Sunderland-born.... what is the source of that info.

Today I saw ( film of) the original marriage record in Christ Church (Tynemouth Parish Church) of

"1st Dec 1902.
Christopher Johnston 23 yrs, bachelor, labourer of 54 Queen St, North Shields, son of Robert Johnston, Steamboatman ( deceased) >>>>>>
Jane Lizzie Mills 19 yrs, spinster of 64 Queen St, North Shields, dtr of John Mills, labourer "

and a later baptism at same church

" Born 6 Mar 1903, Baptised 27 Mar 1903
 John Robert Johnston, son of Christopher, labourer, and Jane Lizzie Johnston, of 64 Quenn St, North Shields"

John Robert given the names of his two grandparents.

You can see the Mills family on 1901 census ref 4802-132-34 @ 64 Queen St. Jane E , 17 yrs.is domestic with Hunter family , ref 4804-61-7.

This couple, Christopher and Jane Lizzie (or Elizabeth) have at least four children, the above John Robert, Christopher, William and Alice Maud.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too many Christopher Johnstons about at same era !

And I looked up a ship called the Tecumseh... earlier than yours...

Tecumseh .A bargue 452 tons, built Canada.
Register in Greenock 1845-1848
Registered on the Tyne 1848-1866

Her Master from 23 Feb 1848... John JOHNSTON.. a coincidence ?
Then Benjamin Newton, Master from 20 July 1850

Michael
Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline ZuluDiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 October 09 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,

It appears we're not talking about the same person.

I'm seeking information about Christopher Johnston, who was the son of Thomas Johnston and Dorothy Ann Johnston. The Johnston Family used to live at 28 Trinity Street - Chirton (North Shields). This data was obtained from the Census 1881.

From the Census 1901, I obtained the following data: Christopher Johnston (age 33), married to Sarah C. Johnston (age 33), with children Lily (age 9), Ethel (age 6), and Alice Young Johnston (age 3). The Family lived at 54 Lawson Street - Chirton (North Shields). There is a discrepancy here in that Christopher was born qtr March 1876 and would have been 25 years of age in 1901, but somehow it was reported as 33; I can't explain this gap, which you had pointed out previously. The Census 1901 shows Dorothy Ann Johnston, age 55, a widow, residing at Church St - South Shields, Tynemouth.

At this moment I can't find my document source for reporting that Sarah C. was born in Sunderland, but I'll keep working on it and get back with you after I locate it.

You've discovered very interesting information about the TECUMSEH. It could be just a coincidence, but it would not be a giant leap if one does assume that John Johnston (Master of the older ship) was related to Christopher. We know that they are not the same ship; the latter was built and launched in Germany in 1908.

Once again, many thanks for your insight.

Zulu

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 October 09 09:51 BST (UK) »
Zulu,

I am scratching my head to try show you that it is you who is mixing up two different but " similar" Johnston families in North Shields.

OK... on to a 1891 census comparison...

1891 census.28 Trinity St, North Shields (page ref 4224-9-12)
Head Thomas Johnston 56 waterman born North Shields
Wife Dorothy Ann Johnston 48 b. South Shields
Dtr Jane Ellen Johnston u/m 27 b.North Shields
Son Thomas Johnston u/m 25 waterman b.North Shields
Dtr Dora Annie Johnston u/m 21 b.North Shields
Dtr Amy Johnston 18 b.North Shields
Son CHRISTOPHER Johnston 15 b.North Shields
Dtr Ethel Maude Johnston 12 b. North Shields

This family in Trinity St, North Shields from before 1871.

Thomas senior's death is registered in 1892, him 57. Dorothy A 's death registered 1899, aged 57.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1891 census 39 Stephenson St, North Shields ( page ref 4228-8-9)
Head Dorothy A Johnston  widow 45 born Durham City
Dtr Hannah J Johnston u/m 19 b.Tynemouth
Son Michael R Johnston u/m 16 b.Tynemouth
Son CHRISTOPHER Johnston 11 b.Tynemouth
Dtr Dora Annie Johnston 4 b.Tynemouth

Tracking back through censuses the deceased husband/father was Robert Johnson, and earlier child was Jane E b.1866. This Robert was born North Shields 1843. Died 1886 aged 43. His occupation was variously Steam Tug Engineer and similar. 

From the 1861 census (ref 3838-65-18) there are clues that this Robert is brother of Thomas and son of Walter and Jane.

~~~~~~~~----

I am abbreviating much info, but if there are details from records you wish, just say.

By 1911 a 43 yr old Christopher Johnson is with with Sarah Elizabeth also 43., both born North Shields.His occupation is Engine Fitter. One of their children was Alice Young Johnston.

Not far away was a 32 yr old Christopher Johnston with wife Jane Lizzie
, aged 27 born Middlesbrough.His occ. is "General Labourer, discharging timber ships"
This couple also called a daughter Alice

The widow Dorothy A Johnson on Census 1901 at 36Church St, North Shields (ref 4802-121-12) is 55 yrs, Born South Shields. Yes she has a dtr called Dora A, aged 14.
But she is widow of Robert Johnston, not the widow of Thomas Johnston.

~~~~~~~~--

Michael
Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline ZuluDiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Christopher Johnston b.1876
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 24 October 09 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your input. It is all very confusing to me especially because, as you pointed out, there so many Johnston families in Northumberland and Durham Counties who named their children similarly. Someday I might be able to figure it out.

Here's an interesting development. I have located a copy of a United States immigration document dated 13-April-1923, according to which Christopher Johnston (North Shields), aged 47 years, had arrived in New York as a passenger of the ship MAURETANIA, from Southampton. Mr. C.Johnston is listed as a "Ship Master" in route to board another vessel.

The surprising part to me is that Mr. C.Johnston is reported as "S" (unmarried), and with his residence in care of Thomas Johnston at 39 Drummond Terrace - North Shields.

Since his father Thomas died on or before 1901, the Thomas Johnston mentioned here must be one of his brothers. Was he separated or divorced from Sarah? Not uncommon since he was frequently absent from home, and over extended periods of time; Sarah must have grown tired of taking care of the children by herself.

Thanks for your interest.

Offline ZuluDiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Northumberland 1822
« Reply #24 on: Monday 28 February 11 02:59 GMT (UK) »
The following is posted being mindful that it could be useful to someone.

The information transcribed below is from a publication known as the "New Monthly Magazine and Literary Journal - Historical Register Volume VI" covering events in the year 1822. At page 191 for 01-April-1822:

NORTHUMBERLAND

Married]. At North Shields, Mr. W. Johnston to Miss M. Robinson - At Gosforth, Mr. T. Reay to Miss S. Winter - Mr. J. Rutledge to Miss M. Preston - At Jarrow, Mr. M. Thompson to Miss D. Wallace - At Ovinham, Mr. W. Beason to Miss A. Riccalton - At Tynemouth, Capt. P. Tuart to Mrs. M. Taylor.
Died]. At Newcastle, Mr. H. Angus, 72 - Mrs. E. Berkeley, 80 - At Sandylord, N. Nators, Esq - At Morpeth, Mr. W. Heron - At North Shields, Mr. W. Lovejoy, 83 - At Whickham, Mr. G. Wilson.