Author Topic: Greenock-" the English invasion"  (Read 7893 times)

Offline thebargee2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenock-" the English invasion"
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 September 09 17:05 BST (UK) »
Linda,
I have been given a telephone no. for the MOD at Portsmouth where the records are kept, I have left a message on their answerphone and I am waiting their reply with interest.  I'll let you know what happens.

I have seen Scottish Secrets, thanks very interesting.  I have been trawling the National Archives for information about RNTF, Greenock and also torpedo testing at Loch Long and there are  lots of files and workers records, you need to search Catalogue records ADM 290 and ADM 140.  You can order certain details and others you can view by visiting.

Did you know that accomodation was provided for certain key personnel from Woolwich at a weekly rent of 9s, this was arranged by the MOD with the Scottish Garden Suburb Co.

John

Offline TAMOWEN4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 October 10 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

just noticed these postings this morning and I hope I might get some information from some of the contibutors.

I have been researching my family tree and have became 'stuck' with background to my mothers father Thomas (Tommy) Clarke.

Despite asking my elderly mother and her one surviving sibling, they know nothing of their fathers past.

I was 26 when my grandfather died but sadly never aked him anything of his background, he really was a bit of a quiet man anyway.

He joined the Salvation Army in Greenock in the 1920s.

Thomas was born in 1890 ,not sure where but thought to be England (he spoke with an English accent). He married my gran in Glasgow in 1918 and died in Gourock 1979.

I believe he worked for a time in the Torpedo Factory and I wondered if there was anywhere I could find out anything of his background from old records?

look forward to any replies

Tommy
Owen/s, Miller, McMillan, Hamilton, Clarke, McCafferty, Rowe, Sinclair, Jamieson. Hanson/Hansen.

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 October 10 11:57 BST (UK) »
Wee bit of history of the Torpedo Works at Alexandria here

http://www.robertburns.org.uk/alexandria_scotland.htm

This industrialisation continued with the building of the Argyll Motor Works at the beginning of the 20th century. The motor works was an amazing project at the time. It was opened in 1906 when the Argyll Motor company moved to Alexandria from their Glasgow, Bridgeton premises. In it's day it was the most modern factory in Scotland and no expense was spared in its construction. The factory had a troubled existence not least because its main founder, Alexander Govan died suddenly in 1907. The factory continued in motor manufacturing until 1914 when it eventually went into liquidation. The plant was then taken over by the Admiralty who converted it into the Royal Naval Torpedo Factory (RNTF). This created stable employment for Vale people until 1970 when it was bought over by the Plessey electronics company, who closed it down after stripping it of its many assets.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline lindaangus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 October 10 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Tommy

Going on the hunch that the workers for the torpedo factory all came from Plumstead (where they lived) and worked in Woolwich, I have looked up Thomas on Ancestry.  I have a family in the 1901 census living in Ann Street (the same street my family lived at various times). When the census was taken Plumstead and Woolwich were in Kent, England but are now classed as  London.

Head of the family is Charles Clarke- steal machinist aged 45
wife Maryanne 45
daughter Nellie 21
Maud 15
Mary 13
and Thomas aged 11.

My grandmother was 13 when she went up to Greenock with her family, so they may have been at school together.

Have you tried Scotlands people for the marriage certificate of Thomas's marriage which will give you lots of information.  Unfortunately I am out of credits at present otherwise I would have checked it our, but anyway would need your grandmothers maiden name for confirmation.  Marriage certicicates for that period can be viewed on the webpage.

Hope this helps.

Linda

Offline TAMOWEN4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 October 10 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda

many thanks for your reply. Sadly it is not my Thomas.

I have his marraige certificate, he married my gran (a Greenock lass) in Glasgow 1918.

The only info on their marraige cert is that the father of my Thomas was called William Clarke occupation Milk Salesman (deceased) and his mother Eliz(s)abeth Beaumont (deceased).

Tommy
Owen/s, Miller, McMillan, Hamilton, Clarke, McCafferty, Rowe, Sinclair, Jamieson. Hanson/Hansen.

Offline lindaangus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 October 10 15:36 BST (UK) »
Tommy
Worth a try.
I will see if I can find anything else on the 1901 census with the parents names supplied.

Linda

Offline Gourockian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Just came across this old "New" Post.  The houses for the torpedo factory workers were built on Nelson, Rodney, Grenville and Garvie Roads and are still there.   When manufacturing moved to Alexandria, many were kept on at Greenock in the Research and Development dept.  It finally closed in 1959.