Author Topic: Micheal Collins and 'The Squad'.  (Read 104056 times)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
Re: Micheal Collins and 'The Squad'.
« Reply #36 on: Friday 11 June 10 10:06 BST (UK) »
Gary

It is always difficult to draw together bits of different threads. So to get John Wilson details together can you put up here what you know about his involvement in the Squad - we know that his name was on the list of members. (If you have a lot, more than you think the Forum will take, could you PM it too me)

It is reasonable to assume that he had a role on Bloody Sunday - they needed over 200 men altogether. They raided at least 15 addresses and each of these groups (each of about 15 men) had usually 2 men from "The Squad", and there were about 24 men on the central Squad list at that time, including John Wilson. You can see that basic maths implies that he ought to have been involved as one of the pairs of Squad men allocated to each group.

The fact that his name does not come up on searches would in turn imply that he was involved in one of the groups that either made a mistake, or found nobody at home.

As you live in Dublin I am curious to know why you have not been round yourself to read Bill Stapleton's witness statement (presumably John Wilson did not make one). Yo would at least see whether Stapleton mentioned John Wilson and what role he may have had in Bloody Sunday
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Gary Deering

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 11 June 10 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Corisande,The Problem we have with John Wilson is,In 1924 he left the Army as a Captain,he got a pension (his daughter has applied for application form).He ever spoke about the IRA or later the Civil War.He did not join any organisation blueshirts old IRA groups 26 Batt nothing.All we have to go on is family stories passed on from his brother my granfather .I think he just wanted to forget the whole thing,so he left a cold trail,but we think he may have been involved from family stories in the bakery raid in Nth King St.I am going to have a look at the statements in the future but at the moment I just cant find the time as I am doing a lot of work for my Father on his Brother & Uncle`s army careers & chasing my other Granfathers records & Medal for my mother ! also restoring 2 motorcycles & working 5 nights a week!
Deering Dublin,Hickey Dublin,Wilson Dublin,Murphy Dublin/Carlow.

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 19 July 10 16:32 BST (UK) »
After waxing lyrical about this site to a group of friends amazingly discovered that one of them also had a grandfather active in the Irish WOI although doubtful if it was with the Squad. I said I'd ask on the site if anyone might have any information regarding Gabriel Byrne who, my friend was told, also did some driving for Dev following the war?! Many thanks
Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.
Sharp, Houlgrave, McCarrick, Quinn, Dougherty in Liverpool.
Japha in Liverpool and Prussia (Poland)

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 05 September 10 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hello, 1st time on site but an avid researcher, my grandfather, Commandant Michael Duffy and his brother, Commandant Thomas Duffy were both involved in the execution of British Intelligence Officers in Upper Mount Street,21st November 1920, they were not members of the Squad but were both members of E. Co. 2nd Battallion, Dublin Brigade, Thomas made a witness statement, no 1409 to the Bureau of Military History.
I am looking for information on other members of E.Co.2nd Batt and Mr Jack Scally of no 10 Commons Street and the Isle of Man Shipping Company, Jack is mentioned in my great uncles witness statement.
Good luck

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 05 September 10 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi "capel street man" and welcome to Rootschat

I have some research on Upper Mount Street operation here
http://www.cairogang.com/addresses/mount-st-upper/upper-mount-st.html

I did not realise that both Tom and Michael were on that operation, so I have added Michael to the group

Can you add anything on your grandfather's part, or correct or add to what I have there. (I have very little on the men themselves as I have not really got stuck in to researching them, and just add notes as I go along)

I have not read Tom Duffy's witness statement, do you have a copy?
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 06 September 10 01:21 BST (UK) »
Good evening Corisande, my grandfather was not at upper mount street dirctly but was involved in organising the new team, please change your records.W.S.1409, QUOTE
On Saturday night,20th November 1920, I was detailed by my brother, Lieutenant M.Duffy,to be at Westland Row at 8.30 a,m on the following morning,Sunday 21st November 1920.Armed with a revolver and 12 rounds of .45 ammunition, I joined a party of about eight Volunteers- members of E.Company,2nd Battalion, Dublin Brigade.We were instructed to proceed to a house at Upper Mount Street and, on arriving, Commandant T. Ennis directed us to enter. One man, Volunteer Michael Lawless, took up duty on the steps outside the front door. Three men were detaled to remain in the hall, three other men wet to the front room.
Commandant Ennis told me to follow him.We proceeded to a return room at the back of the houser, which we entered,and I was ordered to cover with my revolver a young man who was in bed. Commandant T. Ennis questioned the man and asked him who he was.He replied-I am a Brtish Officer. When asked if he was armed he said NO. Commandant Ennis then put his hand under the pillow on the bed and took out a.445 Colt Automatic fully loaded and a pouch containing about 50 rounds of ammunition.He put the pistol in his pocket and gave the pouch ot ammunition to me.Two Volunteers then brought the other British Intelligence officer to the return room and the two I.O,s were placed standing upon the bed and executed.
The Volunteer who was on duty outside the house captured a British soldier in uniform, with a motor cycle,and brought him the soldier into the house where he was questioned and locked into a room.This soldier later swore at the trial of Volunteer Moran, that Moran was the the man who made him a prisoner.Volunteer P.Moran was not in Upper Mount Street that morning.
As all our section lived on the north side of the city we made directly to the south quays and commandered a rowing boat normally used for running ropes from ships to the quay wall. The boat was equipped with oars and rowlocks.We rowed the boat across the river to the ferry steps at Commans Street, where an old friend-Mr.J Scally of no.10 Commons Street, and the Silloth and Isle of Man Shipping Company, helped us by rowing the boat back to its normal mooring at the South Quay, and we walked back home via Butt Bridge.
I was later informed that Commandant T.Ennis should not have been in Mount Street on 21st November 1920. Officially, Commandant V.Byrne was in charge of this operation, -unquote.

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 06 September 10 07:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I have altered my text on that address to its original without your grandfather.

Interesting Tom's remarks about Tom Ennis not being meant to be there, Certainly Vinny Byrne's witness statement shows no doubts that Vinny ws in charge.

So there is still doubt about how many men were actually involved, it may be that I have the entire party named.

The new book on Moran is out in 2 weeks - he was in charge of the operation at the Gresham Hotel
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 09:48 BST (UK) »
Good morning Corisande, you have done some great work on your site, do you have a relative who was invovled ?
I have a copy of Michael Joseph Lawless, Witness Statement no. 727. It goes into greater detail and gives a different insight into the operation. Some of the facts have been corrected, notably by Michael Noyk, who was an official Solicitor and adviser to Michael Collins and the I.R.A. Michael Noyk also defended P. Moran.
Good luck