Author Topic: Micheal Collins and 'The Squad'.  (Read 104100 times)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
Re: Micheal Collins and 'The Squad'.
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 11:57 BST (UK) »
I am going to have to "do" the witness statements sometime.

I see they can either be viewed with appointment at Military Archives, or at National Archives. Any views on which of those is better - I would find the Nat Archives more convenient

Can one photograph/copy them (I assume that they ate not avalable on CD or book form)
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 15:49 BST (UK) »
The origin of the Witness Statements for those that do not know.
The Bureau of Military History was formed in 1947 to assemble and co-ordinate material to form the basis for the compilation of the history of the movement for Independence from the formation of the Irish Volunteers on the 25th November 1913 to 11th July 1921.
The Bureau gathered material from both leaders and rank and file members of the Independence movement and other witnesses, including next of kin of some of the 1916 leaders and members of the British Security Forces.
Witnesses were interviewed by specially trained people and officers of the Bureau, statements were taken, sometimes several drafts were made and finally an agreed statement was drawn up,logged in and given a registration number.
A total of 1,773 statements were taken , varying in length from 2 pages to 1,200 pages. The majority were in the region of 20-70 pages.
I would recommend the National Archives, you can get copies of the smaller W.S. on the same day, larger ones you can order for a fee and they will post to you.

You are only allowed 3 W.S. at a time, I have spent many a day looking through the statements trying to look for connections to E.C. 2nd Battalion

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 16:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - Nat Archives it is then for me.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Gary Deering

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 01:03 BST (UK) »
Capel St man, I know this is a long shot but have you ever come across the name Johnny Wilson in the statments you have read? He was my great uncle & I am trying to work out the link to him & The Squad.I have heard he was mentioned in a withness statement, I have a gut feeling it was Bill Stapletons, I have had to knock 90 per cent of my research on the head due to a family illness & commitments at the moment.
Deering Dublin,Hickey Dublin,Wilson Dublin,Murphy Dublin/Carlow.

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 10:08 BST (UK) »
Good morning Gary, this may be of interest to you.W.S.no 477 Edward J.Kelliher of C.Co.3rd Batt.Dublin Brigade, subject-a) G.H.Q.Intelligence Section 1920
b) The Active Service Unit 1921
Quote pages 11 & 12 The Igoe Gang
Previous to the half- way house job we had, on numerous occasions on information supplied in conjunction with the Squad, gone to different places to get the Igoe Murder Gang.On one occasion towards evening in or about 4o,clock, returning from one of these chases, Jonnie Wilson of the Squad and myself, having dumped our guns in the Strand Street dump, were walking up along the Quays towards O,Connell Street Bridge when behind us we got an order to keep going the way we were, not to move our heads or make a move in any direction and, turning round we discovered Igoe and his bunch immediately behind us -un-quote, it goes into further detail.
I hope this is the relative you are looking for.
Good luck
Capel Street man

Offline Gary Deering

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 15:53 BST (UK) »
 Thank you thats fantastic, I will get in touch with the national archives about a copy of the statement again thank you.Gary

I just have to add this, what happend next??? its like a film only with a relation in it ! did they bluff there way out of it ? or where they taken in??

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 21:53 BST (UK) »
Wait until you go to the N.A. it will give you something to look forward to, its an interesting story.
If you haven't been before, you have to register and take some form of identification e.g. passport etc
The W.S. NO.477 by Edward Keliher is about 17 pages long.
I have been researching the W.S. for many years looking for information on my family and the operations they were involved in, sometimes I would find nothing but then I would come across a W.S.from somebody else who had been on the same operation or in the same battallion and it would help to give me a better understanding and picture of what went on, when you do come across something its a great feeling but you have to be patient and keep at the research.
I found my grandfathers pension application the most rewarding and informative, It took me about 2 years of constantly writing but eventually I was given 2 days at Cathal Brugha Barracks, where I was told my grandfathers records had survived and I came across a handwritten letter by my grandfather in which he listed the operations he was involved in and the references of names to confirm what he had done, it was absolutely fascinating, not even my father or uncle knew a quarter of what he and his brothers had been involved in, so happy hunting and good luck

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 23:07 BST (UK) »
Gary, correction to the W.Statement reference I gave you earlier, the information on your relative is in
W.S.N0 536 BY JAMES HARPUR , not in W.S.NO.477 by Edward Kelliher as PREVIOUSLY STATED,sorry for any confusion, let me know what you think when you have had a chance to read or copy it.
The 2 w.s. are together in my files, hence the mistake.
Good luck
Capel Street man

Offline Gary Deering

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 09 September 10 04:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Capel Street Man,I will ring the Archives later as its 5am at the moment (just finished a night shift) Can I copy the withness statement ? As I would like a copy for Johnnys daughter, she has already applied to Renmore for the pension application & Cathal Brugha for his army records.The problem I have at the moment is time as my father has been thru a bad illness for the last 7 weeks, So I will have to wait for him to return to health before I can get down for a read.If I can pay for a copy of the statement & have it posted to me that would be the best thing for the moment.
Gary