Author Topic: COMPLETED Thank You. Mitchells in Moray  (Read 11008 times)

Offline scotdownsouth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Served Queen and Country 1973-2016
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Thank You. Mitchells in Moray
« on: Sunday 13 September 09 22:14 BST (UK) »
I have managed to trace my great great grandfather David Mitchell back to his death in Elgin on 30 May 1889 aged 57 at 174 High Street which would give him a birth year of 1832 but his marriage to Ann Dunwoodie in Glasgow on 14 Nov 1856 gave him an age of 26 making his birth year 1830.

Census documents indicate he was born in Duffus Elgin but I can find no trace for either year or any 5 years either side. Any advice, suggestions or assistance much appreciated. His parents on his marriage certificate were Thomas Mitchell and Janet/Jessie Burgess.

Many Thanks.

George
Adams Craven Baker Griffiths Hanks Hawkins Mitchell Quarm Taylor Ward Winkley

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchells in Moray
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 September 09 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi George

Do you have access to all of  the censuses?  These would give you an age profile for every 10 years.

As he was born before official registration in 1855, the only source is likely tol be baptism records for the C of  Scotland. His family might not have been of that religion or his baptism could be missing.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline scotdownsouth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 September 09 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Yes I have the census and other information from following years

1856 Married in Glasgow 14 Nov aged 26 to Ann Dunwoodie (25)

1861 living in Glasgow aged 30 with wife Ann (Dunwoodie) Mitchell (29) 

1871 living in Elgin aged 39 with wife Ann

1881 living in Elgin aged 48 with with (new) wife Barbara (54) don't know what happened to Ann........yet

Other information I have
Children born
Jessie Catherine Mitchell b 5 Sep 1857 Glasgow
John Turnbull Mitchell b. 30 Nov 1859 Glasgow
Janet Ann Robertson Mitchell b. 17 Jul 1861 Glasgow
Susan Ann Patterson Mitchell b. 3 Aug 1863 Elgin
Mary Jane Mitchell b. 7 Dec 1866 Elgin
David Mitchell b. 11 Jun 1868 Elgin (my great grandfather)

The strange thing is Jessie and John do not appear on the 1861 census (may have been infant deaths- need to check that out)

Like wise Janet does not appear on the 1871 census and only David appears on the 1881 census. Still have a lot of searching to do to find out what happened to them but concentrating on trying to find Davids birth date and place first. Thanks

George

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 September 09 23:04 BST (UK) »
Yes - I noticed that they were childless on the 1861  :-\

I've not found his parents so far - either 1841/1851 or a marriage.

It might be that there will be no baptism record for him (I've looked for Mitchell variations and Burgess ).

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline scotdownsouth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 September 09 23:10 BST (UK) »
His parents were Thomas Mitchell and Janet Burgess as listed on his marriage certificate from 1856 although I have seen on another document the wife is listed as Jessie. Thanks for your assistance and interest.

George

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 September 09 23:14 BST (UK) »
I found a sister of David's on familysearch. Elspet,born circa 1834 married James McIntosh 20th June 1856 at the Free Church,Alves. If you look up the marriage details on scotlandspeople it should state whether her parents were still alive,& the witnesses may also give a clue to her heritage. Likewise,the information on David's marriage certificate (2 months later) should help. Did Janet's name appear as m.s.Burgess? If not this may indicate that Thomas & Janet were n't married.I'd a look for them on freecen but could n't find them.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 September 09 23:18 BST (UK) »
His parents were Thomas Mitchell and Janet Burgess as listed on his marriage certificate from 1856 although I have seen on another document the wife is listed as Jessie. Thanks for your assistance and interest.

George

Hi George

I think you misunderstood  :)

I was looking for them  as  your first message stated their names.  I said that I couldn't find them on the early censuses rather than I didn't know who they were .

Gadget

PS - Jessie and Janet are used interchangeably in Scotland

Offline scotdownsouth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 September 09 23:20 BST (UK) »
Thats a breakthrough. Many thanks for that will have a good look tomorrow at that fresh infomation and see where I get to next.

Thanks to you all for your time and trouble.

George

Offline scotdownsouth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 September 09 23:22 BST (UK) »

George

Hi George

I think you misunderstood  :)

I was looking for them  as  your first message stated their names.  I said that I couldn't find them on the early censuses rather than I didn't know who they were .

Gadget

PS - Jessie and Janet are used interchangeably in Scotland

Doh! Sorry about that Gadget!

George