Author Topic: COMPLETED Thank You. Mitchells in Moray  (Read 11007 times)

Offline scotdownsouth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Served Queen and Country 1973-2016
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchells in Moray
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 21 November 09 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Having re-read through this whole thread again I will have a closer look at the Janet Burgess pauper aged 64 living in Cummingston in the 1851 census as stated above. May be able to trace her death details as well if it is the correct person.
Adams Craven Baker Griffiths Hanks Hawkins Mitchell Quarm Taylor Ward Winkley

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 22 November 09 12:26 GMT (UK) »
I think that the 1841 census details that Forfarian quoted will turn out to be your Janet & daughter. I hope you can find poor relief records for Janet  as they will provide a great deal of information.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline scotdownsouth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 22 November 09 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that information. I have checked out the census record on SP and it does indeed look like the correct Janet albeit with the slight surname difference of Burghess but I think I am getting used to this sort of thing now!

She is listed as 45 and Elspet as 7 (not 5 as above) which would tie in with the birth date of Elspet that I found earlier of 4 Jan 1834. No sign of Alexander who would be 10 by this time although I have found an Alexander also working as an Arg Lab in another part of the census and also no sign of eldest child David who would be 14 by this time but may also have been working elsewhere (poss sighting as domestic servant if memory serves by Gadget)

Thanks again, will keep looking for Thomas Mitchell father of all 3 children.

George

Offline scotdownsouth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 22 November 09 13:50 GMT (UK) »
David's also in Elgin in the 1841 census.He's a male servant at Glackmarras,aged 14 & born in Morayshire.
flst

Sorry it was not Gadget it was flst who mentioned David working as a domestic servant.

This would tie in with the date I have found for his birth of 20 Aug 1827 making him 14 at the time of the 1841 census.

George

Offline uqus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 04 December 09 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello George aka scotdownsouth..

I found your posts on RootsChat simply by googling my ancestors Elspet Mitchell and James McIntosh.  Thomas Mitchell and Janet/Jessie Burgess are my great-great-great-great grandparents!  I've read through your posts and I'm afraid I don't have much more information than you do.  There's just one possible clue - in the 1871 census, James and Elspet's son Duncan was working for/living with a William Mitchell ("farmer of 222 Ac of which 122 Ac Able employing 5 lab 3 boy"), born c. 1818 in Newspynie, Morayshire, and his wife Ann.  I did a bit of digging to see if this William was a relative (Duncan is not listed as a relative on the census, just a sheepboy/servant) but I don't think I found anything conclusive.  I'll find the information and post later...

Offline uqus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 04 December 09 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I found the birth of William and Ann's son, John Clark Mitchell (24th Nov. 1850), which gave me the mother's maiden name - Hutcheson.
I subsequently found death certificates for both Ann Hutcheson/Mitchell and William Mitchell.  William's death certificate (1876, Hempriggs, Alves, Moray) reveals that he was illegitimate - reputed father William Mitchell and mother Ann Melvin subsequently Anderson.
I think I'm probably just confusing things!

Offline scotdownsouth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 05 December 09 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello George aka scotdownsouth..

I found your posts on RootsChat simply by googling my ancestors Elspet Mitchell and James McIntosh.  Thomas Mitchell and Janet/Jessie Burgess are my great-great-great-great grandparents!

That's an amazing turn up for the book!! I will PM you so we may be able to exchange details further.

George

Offline scotdownsouth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 05 December 09 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Ah, yes, I could have told you there are both a Dallas and a Duffus. Very confusing!

If Thomas Mitchell and Janet/Jessie Burgess had three or more children, it does strengthen the evidence for there having been a marriage. It is unusual for a couple to have three illegitimate children, but not impossible.

My latest research indicates they had at least 3 children
David b. 20 Aug 1827
Alexander b. 19 Apr 1831
Eslpet b. 4 Jan 1834

all born in Cummingston Morayshire.

George

Offline scotdownsouth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 05 December 09 19:04 GMT (UK) »

There's just one possible clue - in the 1871 census, James and Elspet's son Duncan was working for/living with a William Mitchell ("farmer of 222 Ac of which 122 Ac Able employing 5 lab 3 boy"), born c. 1818 in Newspynie, Morayshire, and his wife Ann.  I did a bit of digging to see if this William was a relative (Duncan is not listed as a relative on the census, just a sheepboy/servant) but I don't think I found anything conclusive.

To be honest I have not researched very much into James and Elspets family as yet. I am concentrating on the moment on finding info about Elspets (and David/Alexanders) parents Thomas and Janet/Jessie but obviously there may be some info to be gleaned from any details regarding them. I have Elspets death cert from 1899 but it just confirms her parents as Thomas Mitchell, Labourer (deceased) and Jessie Mitchell m.s. Burgess (deceased)