Author Topic: COMPLETED Thank You. Mitchells in Moray  (Read 11011 times)

Offline scotdownsouth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Served Queen and Country 1973-2016
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchells in Moray
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 02 January 10 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Well I guess that brings this one to completion as I now have found the answer to my original query. Many Thanks to all who helped but still no trace of the elusive Thomas Mitchell although I have had limited success with Janet Burgess. Happy New Year to all.
Adams Craven Baker Griffiths Hanks Hawkins Mitchell Quarm Taylor Ward Winkley

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED Thank You. Mitchells in Moray
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 03 January 10 14:48 GMT (UK) »
I'd be interested in anything anyone knows about Janet/Jessie Burgess in case she turns out to be one of mine. I have been collecting all information about any Burgesses in Moray/Banffshire for decades.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline scotdownsouth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Served Queen and Country 1973-2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 03 January 10 15:56 GMT (UK) »
If I uncover any further information I will let you know.

Current situation is we know that Thomas Mitchell and Janet Burgess had 3 children as listed above (David Alexander and Elspet all born in Cummingston) the 1841 census places Janet (45) and Elspet (7) in Cummingston Village Duffus Morayshire but then the trail goes cold, although there is a Janet Burgess listed in the 1851 census still in Cummingston but now aged 64(?) and living with William Scott and his wife Isobel Henderson and their 2 children. This Janet Burgess is listed as widowed and a pauper on the Poors Board. That is as much as I know at present.

George
Adams Craven Baker Griffiths Hanks Hawkins Mitchell Quarm Taylor Ward Winkley

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 03 January 10 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I'll look forward to hearing more from you then.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.