Author Topic: Burge  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Burge
« on: Monday 14 September 09 00:58 BST (UK) »
More than one 'Family Rumour' points to a connection with the surname, BURGE and Ireland. About as much else as I can offer would be 'pre 1850's' for the point of origin.

I've tried what pitifully little I know how, to seek a connection. Thought I'd throw it open to you experts.

Does that name resonate with anyone here, please?

GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Burge
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 09 01:29 BST (UK) »
Appears to be only three listing's for Burge in Griffiths for the whole of Ireland.

Griffiths was not a census but a list of the head of household who held/rented land/property. Griffiths was taken around 1850's.

Burge in Griffiths

Also appears there are a few families in 1911 Census

Burge in 1911 Ireland Census

Ger

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 September 09 01:57 BST (UK) »
 Hmmm ..... Cheers for that, Ger'. It, quite frankly, means nothing to me. Not a lot Does about this tenuous, stated connection. But, it's something to put away till I maybe find out more, with which to compare that stuff.

Truth to tell? I'm withholding one point of the information I've received. I wanted to cast the more general net first. Your response has highlighted a possible weak spot in my chances of proving or otherwise what I seek.

I'm now wondering if Irish records may simply not have been thorough enough to have covered my own (potential) targets. I certainly suspect they'd have gone beneath Griffith's radar. If what I'm told has any foundation.

Thanks  :)

Steve.

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 September 09 02:18 BST (UK) »
Well if it helps any bit most of those in the Census seem to have their origins in England.

And the Benjamin in Griffiths was down as Esquire so was a gentleman at the time. A few families in the Census appear to be his relatives as they are in the same area of Dublin.

This Benjamin appears to be actually subletting to others so was not poor anyway most likely Church of Ireland as well.

Ger

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 September 09 02:41 BST (UK) »
Well if it helps any bit most of those in the Census seem to have their origins in England.

Yet more mud in the water!

See; As far as ever I've found; Burge is a 'west country' name. English. (Like, ok; There's a whole enclave of them around Peckham, in London, too. But the name really is strong in the west)

And there's no class distinction. One might find a Burge ~ 'Scratcher abouter, just trying to survive' ~ up in court and tried by a Burge, Magistrate and well fed 'pillar of society'.

And, just to torment me, I have these buzzes of an Irish connection ..... And no bugger kept a record of too'ings and fro'ings in the later 1800's or before.

I suspect, like that last glass of stout, I'm sunk - again!  :(

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 21:13 BST (UK) »
There are 41 BMD events in Ireland involving a Burge between 1850 and 1899.

From the information you have given so far it is impossible to tell if any of them are related to you.

Dara.

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 22:46 BST (UK) »
 Dara; Thanks for the heads up. That's interesting.

Now, what information might ye like, to see if any of them hook up with me? I have precious little. But I do have a list of children which may be partially matchable with anything you've found?

I'm working on the hunch / rumour that my people visited Ireland. How often. Or for how long? Dunno.

But, one was said to have been knifed to death in a Belfast alleyway. I mean; That's not the sort of thing one imagines up, is it?