Author Topic: Marlow look up completed  (Read 865 times)

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marlow look up completed
« on: Saturday 05 March 05 08:25 GMT (UK) »
James Townsend bapt c1791. On the 1851 he just put Marlow for place of birth. Is there any families with the name Townsend in this parish?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JLo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Marlow look up
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've just spotted this and your other posting about Marlow.  Marlow itself is a town within the parish of Great Marlow, so I would imagine your James would be in Great Marlow rather than Little Marlow.  I would think your best bet for parish records would be the Bucks Family History Society (www.bucksfhs.org.uk)  They also have the 1851 census for Bucks so would be able to search it for your.

Another (slightly bizarre) link that might be of interest to you is the Sussex Family History Group (http://www.sfhg.org.uk)  I noticed on there a member (Mr A G Peake) who was researching the name Townsend in Great Marlow 1750-1900 who could be contacted by email - I suppose that could be you!!

Hope that is some help  :-\
Julie

Marshall, Beeson (Herts)
Lo(e)wenthal,Kavanagh, Maxam (London, Birmingham)
Harrisson, Matthews (London, Essex)
Poulton, Philbrick (Essex)
Guest, Timmins (Staffs)
Raynes/Ryall (Ireland, Birmingham)
White (Bucks)
Gunn (Scotland, Lancs, Essex)
Ison (Tamworth, Birmingham, USA, Canada)

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marlow look up
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 22:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Julie for the information. I am a member of Bucks FHS. I have the census 1851, that is how I got his place of birth. He  died in 1859. Great Marlow registers are still at the church. A friend of mine did go to the Record office and look at some photocopies of the register but no James was found. Need some one to look at the BT's for me.
I will try the gent you told me about. Thanks for the help.