Author Topic: Death in Leeds 1840s -evolved into 'which Atkinson is which!!"  (Read 11977 times)

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Death in Leeds 1840s - which sub-registration district?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 September 09 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Libby, nice to talk to you again  :D and thanks for the pointers. Very helpful, love the photo site!

Think this is what we have so far:

early 1853, William Brownridge at Scott St, Woodhouse and Ann Atkinson at Nether Green, Woodhouse

1851, best fit for Ann is the servant at 27 Springfield Place, Woodhouse, on both age and location.  Next best for location, the one on Myrtle St, although the age is a bit out.

1841, best fit for Ann WAS the one on Grove St, until we realised that John the Tailor was probably too young to be her father.
Then the one on Myrtle St with father or grandfather John. I think I agree with Libby, he is a dresser not a draper - but then if Ann was born out of wedlock, she might have invented the datails on her marriage cert anyway!

Other 1841 sightings of Ann without a father called John include one on Woodhouse Lane with siblings (?) Sarah, Charles and David; then another on Benns Lane (I think) next to Woodhouse Lane, with sibling Thomas and possible grandfather (age 65) Henry.

There are 19 Ann Atkinsons born to father John on IGI Yorkshire.  Best fit looks like the one christened at Armley on 18 Jan 1829, parents John and Mary.  Would be great if he was a tailor!

I might send for the birth cert/certs of Ann and William's oldest children to see what addresses they have - expensive option, but I'm not sure what else there is to go on..

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecowizard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 September 09 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara & Dee

Re Nether Green, Leeds See following sight of photos of Leeds
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2003317_22253054

It shows a photo of Nether Green Chapel in 1963 from Craven St along Royston Place. The front of the Chapel was on Woodhouse St. It was the Mission Church of Headingley. There is also a picture of 68 Woodhouse St an upholsterers with a view of Nether Green Court.

Margaret
IBBOTSON(Leeds, Sawley, Ripon), JACKSON (Methley, Deighton.Bilton-in-Ainsty), WILSTROP (Cowthorpe, Tockwith, Rufforth, York ),SOUTHALL (Notts & Staffs), BARRON (Leeds & Ireland), PEARSON (NRY Yorkshire), CROMACK, NOTHER, TURTON (Rothwell), BEDFORD (Wakefield area), INMAN (Methley), BUCKLEY (Notts & Leics), GRANGER (Leics & Northants)

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 September 09 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara.  Apologies for getting back to you so late.  Have now gone through the Ordnance Survey Maps and have arrived at the following:

Nether Green was off Woodhouse Street, Leeds, probably close to Craven Road Centre/Servia Hill.

There are 2 Myrtle Streets: one off Regent Street, Central Leeds and the other in Hunslet.

I don't know if this will help, but I have noticed that a lot of people who married at St. Marks Church, Woodhouse (1840 - 1850's), gave their address as Nether Green.

Dee

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Melody: Carrick, Attymass, Ballina, County Mayo
Cassidy:Mayo/Leitrim
Granaghan: Crossmolina, County Mayo
Mullens: Kensington, London

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thaks very much for that Dee, and to Margaret and Libby for the links to the Leodis site  :D

It pains me to say this  ;D but that photo site is much better than the equivalent one in my home town Manchester. The way they put info and contributions with each pic is excellent & very helpful.

That point about Nether Green being on lots if marriages is probably significant - you think it might be just an address of convenience for Ann to give her temporary residence in the parish?

They are proving tough nuts to crack, these Atkinsons!

Thanks again

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara.  I think Nether Green was an actual area, but because so much has changed over the years; I guess it's commonly known as Woodhouse today.
Barbara, I also noticed the following:  2 people on GenesReunited are also searching for an Ann Atkinson, born Leeds - Terence has date as 1830; Jane has date as 1829.  It's possible these 2 people are searching for the same Ann.  I don't have access to Genes, but thought I should pass it on in case you were not aware.  Maybe someone on here maybe able to pass on a message for you.

Dee

Offline saraudu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 September 09 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,
I was born a McGibbon.  My great-grandfather was John McGibbon and I think he may have been born somewhere in Scotland . . . such a big help . . . He was married to Anne Augusta Milne in 10 Aug 1866.  And I know nothing else about him except he was an orphan at a very young age.  He could have been born to the John McGibbon who is your possible relative, but I have no info at all on his side of the family.  Maybe you have some info.   

I live in the Seattle area, in Washington State, of the US.  If it would help you I would be happy to share whatever info I do have.  Maybe this would benefit us both.  My great-grandfather John McGibbon lived for quite a while in Dublin, too, before comng wth his wife and one living child, William, to the US by ship in 1886.  They went to the Lower Glouster Street Presbyterian Church which is now a ruin that was a corn store on Sean McDermott Street, there. 

Hope to hear form you soon.  Thanks, Saradu

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 25 September 09 12:06 BST (UK) »
Saraudu - Welcome to rootschat :D
I'll send you a PM as my McGibbon line was not located here in West Yorkshire - I have to say your gt-grandfather's details don't sound as if we have a connection, but you never know.

Dee - Thanks yet again - I think I have already been in touch with one of the GR contacts and we are stuck at the same place!
I'm going to send for the birth certificate of Ann's oldest child with William Brownridge, in hope that it gives something to work on.
(2 hours later) goodness me, even this isn't simple! Oldest child on the 1871 census is 'Thomas' born c. 1853. Of course there isn't one on the bmds...  ::)

I'm going for a brew!

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 September 09 13:12 BST (UK) »
Barbara, I'm surprised your still at the 'brew' stage.  I would have been on something stronger long before now!!!!

Have you seen these 2 births for Thomas:

Births
March 1853 / Leeds
Atkinson, Thomas                              Vol No: 9b / Page No: 393
Atkinson, Thomas Brown                     Vol No: 9b / Page No: 393

If you have a look on:  http://www.yorkshirebmd.info/births.html

You will notice Thomas B belongs to Leeds West!!  Could be a possible.

I did notice that Thomas was not with the family in 1861.  He was with his Grandfather James Snr.
RG09 / 3393 / 72 / 31
12 Tonbridge Street, Leeds

I was looking at the family on all the Census to see if Ann's mother ever came to live with them.

There is also  William Thomas Brownridge  b. March 1852 / Leeds
                      Vol No: 9b / Page No: 345
This birth is in the sub-district of Leeds North

Dee

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 28 September 09 11:07 BST (UK) »
Barbara, I'm surprised your still at the 'brew' stage.  I would have been on something stronger long before now!!!!

Ah well, I did not mention what I was brewing  8)  But no, as yet its still only coffee!

The two Thomas Atkinson births looks good - I think I've seen William Thomas Brownridge with a different family in 1861.  And it looks as if Thomas did call himself Atkinson as an adult - there are two marriages on the free bmds for Thomas Brownridge Atkinson, in 1873 (Leeds) and 1884 (Middlesbrough). If that's him, in 1891 he's a herbalist in Middlesbrough with wife Hannah.

Right, then! I've asked the GRO to do reference checks on the two Thomas Atkinson births based on mothers name being Ann. Fingers crossed, an address for Ann before marriage might help to locate her parents.  It certainly is the scenic route to finding them...