Author Topic: Gaites (beginner here-any help appreciated)  (Read 783 times)

Offline MJL84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gaites (beginner here-any help appreciated)
« on: Wednesday 16 September 09 20:40 BST (UK) »
My father born Daniel Gaites 1951 in Vancouver, British Columbia.....he was adopted a Swanson in 1954.

He has since passed away, including both his adoptive parents; which to my understanding, are the only three people able to access his adoption records.

I have in my possession what looks to be his adoption certificate, or at least it states his birth name, and somewhere along the line it says "from this day forth Daniel Gaites shall henceforth be known as...". Also, it looks like he began to file for his adoption records.

I have an information booklet from the adoption registry, an old folded up empty application form, and a document stating "we will hold on to your cheque for the amount of $25 until we receive your application form"

So I guess he chickened out somewhere along the lines

I have no interest in reuniting with "long lost family".... I am simply in a position where half of my heritage is unknown
I have begun to research the Gaites family name, and with not much to go on am having much difficulties. They are English? I think..
Which makes me maybe English  ???

I have spoken to the adoption registry and was told that if I write a letter stating I am looking for information for personal benefit, and have no interest in meeting his biological parents, they may, under their sole discretion, release minimal information....but not to expect much....which they emphasized that last bit.....don't expect much. I have every intention to write that letter.

If anyone knows any information about the Gaites family, or anything about accessing adoption records, or any useful research tips, it would be greatly appreciated. Or by any slim chance that a Mr. or Mrs. Gaites stumbles across this...let's chat lol.

I am simply in a position where I feel the sense of identity that would come from acquiring this lost knowledge would be greatly beneficial to me, and I'm sure my fathers other 3 children wouldn't be opposed to knowing either. All I know is I'm part Scandanavian... the rest is unknown, and there is little prospect of ever knowing it.

Topic Locked - See Duplicate Post

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,405689.0.html