Author Topic: thomas cadwell  (Read 18507 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: THOMAS CADWELL,
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Possible Marraige for Thomas Cadwell in 1916 however no matching Margaret; spouse may have been Mary Margaret or known as Margaret - a copy of the cert would confirm

Thomasina's birth cert should give both parents

Also it is possible that Thomas married twice and the Margaret who died in the 1960s is a second wife

Sharing all the information you have in requests can alleviate unnecessary searching and help focus on the correct people and dates
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: THOMAS CADWELL,
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Ok thanks

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
cadwell
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 18 April 13 17:27 BST (UK) »
hi im looking for info on the cadwell family from clontarf  ,,, my grandmother was born there in 1916 THOMASINA CADWELL,, I KNOW  her fathers mother and father were killed ina car crash in 1936 -the car went into the liffey as far as i know....... i think in 1911 census there liven on waterfall ave in drumcondra,, as far as i no a few of the cadwells were in the easter riseing but cant be 100% sure of that,,,,,

Moderator note : Merged with one of your existing Cadwell topics to save people duplicate searches etc.

Offline Rowan1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: thomas cadwell
« Reply #39 on: Monday 13 June 16 13:36 BST (UK) »
Greetings to all Cadwell's and to all the researchers for their help.

I have just joined Rootschat, having discovered the chat about the Cadwell family from Clontarf. They are 'old' post's and  I am hoping somebody now has more info about the Cadwells, particularly Peter Cadwell/Caddle.

My Grandmother was Josephine Cadwell b.15/11/1906, 9 Strandville Ave, Clontarf to Thomas Cadwell and Mary Ann Kealy. They are at that address on the 1901 Census and at 23, Brian Boru Ave on the 1911 Census, along with their 8 Children - one is a Thomas age 2, and Mary Ann's Mother.
Thomas Cadwell married Mary Ann  13/8/1899 in Clontarf. His Parent's are Peter Cadwell and Ellen Cullen and they lived in Coolock. Edward Cadwell was a witness.

Thomas Cadwell had several siblings, his older brother being Michael who tragically drowned in the Liffey along with his wife Thomasina and their son Christopher. I have read the reports in the newspaper's, rest their souls.

This is where I find various name spellings

Peter Caddle and Ellen Cullen's Children are-
Mary Caddell b. 20/5/1863 at Coolock.
Michael Caddel b. 2/10/1864 at Coolock, mentioned above.
Patrick Caddle b. 30/9/1866 at Edenmore.
Simon Caddle b. 6/11/1868, lives at Yellow Ln. Drumcondra, Mother's name is Elizabeth Cullen.
* Male Caddle b.3/6/1872 at no. 2 North City.
THOMAS CADWELL b. 22/12/1873, lives at Goose Green. My G-Grandfather.
* Male Cadwell b.18/10/1875.
*Male Cadwell b. 26/11/1876. ( Possible George,age 34 on 1911 census)

*I am not certain which brother is which and it's likely their are other's too (as ages on the Census do not match above births). I know there is Edward, (witness at Thomas's wedding) on the 1911 census at 44, Brian Boru Ave, says he's born in Santry, Francis, his brother lives there to. On the 1901 Census Francis lives with THOMAS at Strandville Ave. I have used the census to work out that there is another brother George. On the 1911 Census George lives at 9, Brian Boru St with his Wife's family. He still lived there when he died in 1940 (Death notice Evening Herald 11/1/1940) George is married to Margaret Fottrell, 'Maggie' was a witness at Edward Cadwell's and Jane Fottrell's, (her sister) wedding. George appears in the newspapers.
Does anybody have any details to confirm who is who?

There is a marriage of Peter Caddle and  Eleanor Cullen who married in Baldoyle, 5/5/1862. Peter lived at Balgriffin and his Father is Patrick Caddle, Mother Julia. Eleanor's father is Michael, Mother Elizabeth.
Cadwell/Caddle is not a common name so I think this is them, marrying in a different Parish then settling in Coolock/Drumcondra/Clontarf.
I have not yet found a Baptism record for Peter although there are several Caddell's in Baldoyle born to a Simon Caddle. Can anyone shed any light on Peter? I would appreciate some help as I am at 'the wall', again...

My uncle tells a tale, which none of us have taken seriously until I have just read these post's, about Michael Collins being given refuge overnight in their house. I do not know any more details than that at the moment although i intend to find out....
Good luck to all,
 :)

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 13 June 16 18:12 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was thomasina cadwell born in clontarf in 1916.. i heard a story that they used to gve refuge to the rebels durn and after 1916 ..

Offline Rowan1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 13 June 16 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Will1890,
thanks for the response.
Do you know who Thomasina's parent's were? Are you the direct ancestor of Michael and Thomasina who died in 1936?
I have now spoken with my Uncle who said that Michael Collins stayed At Brian Boru St/ Ave although he cannot remember when so he is asking his brothers. It may have been in the house of Kathleen Cadwell and Peter Dunny.( Not sure of surname) They are all over 80 now so their memories are not as sharp. Apparently my Grandmother was sent to a local shop with a message asking for '1/2 lb margarine' which is thought to be code. Who knows??? I will keep you posted if I hear any more.
Best wishes,
 :)

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 13 June 16 20:30 BST (UK) »
Thomas cadwell was her father . Her grandmother died in that car crash in the liffey in 36 .i had the photos of the car after it had crashed into the river.i heard storys that the cadwells had to hide at clontarf baths so the british wouldnt find them.. there was a cadwell in colins gang .not sure his first name. He lived at fiarview..alot of the cadwells worked for the tram company. Thomas cadwel lost both his legs ..he was run down by a tram

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 13 June 16 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there
The brother you have listed as 'Male Caddle b.3/6/1872 at no. 2 North City' is PETER Caddle, his baptism is on IrishGenealogy

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/96b5ea0197640

also not sure about Simon Caddle b. 6/11/1868. You have him as living in Drumcondra but this looks like a corresponding death record in 1869.

Simon Caddle
Age at death    1
Birth year    1868
Registered year    1869

Dublin North
Volume    17
Page    439

Can you give details of the children born to Simon in Baldoyle ?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 13 June 16 21:13 BST (UK) »
5 hits for Cadwell here just enter Cadwell into search archives
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/

one or two seem to be the above families