Author Topic: Annan newspaper,s  (Read 6823 times)

Offline CASTLEH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annan newspaper,s
« on: Thursday 17 September 09 19:34 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if there was a newspaper for Annan covering 1840 to 1870 if so  on which site
        Thanks

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Annan newspaper,s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 September 09 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Newspaper for Annan is the Annandale Observer, I have just phoned the Annan library who have it on Microfiche and they say it starts in 1857, I think although it is in quite a few of the Dumfriesshire libraries I don’t believe it is online. As far as I know there is also no index. The Dumfries and Galloway Standard has been indexed (very well indexed) but again it’s not available online. The Standard would cover any major event in Dumfriesshire though and you could then look in the smaller local newspapers of the same week.

Was it something particular you are looking for?

Emma

Offline CASTLEH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 September 09 20:00 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Emma for your reply i was looking for my gggrandfather,s death a Matthew Hetherington  1865  i cant find any record of his buriel so i was hoping to may be find something in the newspaper,s he was only 45 when he died of a accident so i was hoping it may have been reported
      Thankyou Heather

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 September 09 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

Sounds like he may well be in the Newspaper, I can pop in during the week if you like and have a look for you. The only problem is the printer on the microfiche machine hasn’t been working but you never know they might have had it fixed since the last time I was in. If not I’ll get whatever details I can.

What’s the date of death? It’s only a weekly paper so should be easy enough to find if it’s in.

Emma

Offline CASTLEH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 September 09 20:53 BST (UK) »
Thankyou very much for the offer i will get my paper,s out and give you all the info i have for him
        Do you live in Annan ?i myself am in Lancashire but my grandma comes from Annan and all my family from her back come from the area.I will email you shortly with the info on Matthew
        Dont realy like to ask but my grandma had a brother born 1901 i cannot find anything out about him because unlike England the 1911 census is not available would you be able to find anything out about him? I know he was in Annan because my mum who was born1930 can rememder seeing a uncle Andrew when she went to Scotland to see her grandma as a little girl
                               Heather 

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 September 09 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

Yes I grew up in Annan and now live about 4 miles out of the town. My mum grew up in Annan too so you never know local knowledge might help too. Certainly let me know what you have and I’ll see what I can do. I’ll send you a PM with my email address so you don’t have to put modern information on the board.

Emma

P.S.

This is an old Annan photo, you never know some of your relatives might be on it! http://www.eblett.co.uk/html/annan_photos_2.html

Offline CASTLEH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 September 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Emma
Tryed twice tonight to email somthing wrong will sort it out tomorrow it is getting late now
  Heather

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 06:56 BST (UK) »
matthew hetherington on sp death annan 1865 remember to put 2 ts in matthew or you wont get it csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline CASTLEH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Emma
 I have just sent you a Email could you please let me know if you have received it
   As for Matthew Hetherington looking at my paper,s i see he commited suicide he hung himself at the back of his shop, so it states on his death cert he was a painter and{ he hung himself at the back of his own paint shop } it was on High street  Annan he died on 30/10/1865 age 45 his wife was Janet Graham also on the death cert it states William Lockie present at taking down of the body could he have been a undertaker?
    Matthew is another i cannot find a resting place for this is what i was hoping to find in the paper surely a suicide would have been reported
     Thankyou for taking a look for me Heather