Author Topic: Annan newspaper,s  (Read 6824 times)

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Annan newspaper,s
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

I agree it will probably be in the paper I will have a look, it will probably be Friday when I go though because the Library shuts half day on a Wednesday and I won’t be in the town on Thursday although if I am I will go in then. By 1865 he would probably be buried in the cemetery, which is just outside Annan on the Brydekirk road. The gravestones have been transcribed but I think the transcriptions only go up to 1855 but I will check when I’m in the library on Friday.

I have not received any email, I have been onto our website provider today and they have been checking the server for me, I really don’t know what is gong on but I am now wondering just how many emails have been lost!

Anyway I will go chase them up now and see if anything comes through.

Emma

Offline CASTLEH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Again
  I thought you may have got the last one i sent you it look,s like it as but then it is comming back
   Heather
 PS i will try again later

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 September 09 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

I’ve had a look in the newspaper but I can’t find anything for the weeks following the suicide. I really don’t understand I expected it to be in. What does it say on the death certificate? Is there an RCE?

Emma

Offline CASTLEH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 September 09 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Emma
 first let me thank you for taking the time to look this up for me
      On Matthew,s death cert it states Matthew Hetherington,Painter ,married to Janet Grahame ,1865 October 30 [cannot make out the time realy bad writing] then it says, in his own paint shop High street Annan, age 45, suicide by hanging, no medical attendant ,William Lockie high street  Annan presant in taking down the body, i am assuming Mr Lockie may have been a undertaker
          I have had a look for RCE but cannot see it on the copy of the death cert anywere.With Matthew having a shop on High Street do you know if there is a street  map online which would show the shop and do you think with it being a buisness it would be in some sort of directory? if there was such a thing then
   Thanks again Heather   

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 September 09 21:57 BST (UK) »
i think this mans name is william leckie his occupation possibly tailor  he may be the one who makes shrouds csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline CASTLEH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
 I think you could be right with regard,s to the man,s name realy bad writing on this cert look,s like a spider wrote it ,do you know any of the shop,s on High Street in 1865? or maybe know were i could find out i am trying to visualize what it looked like back then
            I am realy interested in history it as alway,s been one of my pet subject,s but it was not untill i started doing my genealogy i realized how little i know of my own
                                          Heather

Offline Brincliffe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Annan newspapers
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 20:26 BST (UK) »
Are there any newspaper articles featuring the Annan Town Band in 1901 - 1905 ? Any information re the foundation of the band , names of musicians, concerts / performances / venues etc would be much appreciated. Brincliffe.