Author Topic: Joseph Rainey Robertson lookup  (Read 2851 times)

Offline J. Robertson_r5825

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Joseph Rainey Robertson lookup
« on: Wednesday 05 May 04 16:52 BST (UK) »
 I have a possible birth/christening on  My Joseph Rainey Robertson.
Can someone look at the records and confirm or deny that this is/may be my ancestor?:
JOSEPH ROBERTSON, married AGNAS PIRRIE, Marriage: 15 SEP 1767 Culsalmond, Aberdeen, Scotland.
Son: JOSEPH ROBERTSON - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Male Christening: 17 MAR 1776 Rhynie And Essie, Aberdeen, Scotland.
All I have on him is "Joseph Rainey Robertson b. 1760-1780 in Scotland"
I do have his marriage to:  Susannah Johnson, m. 24 Nov 1795, in Madison Co. KY
They had 8 known children:
Elizabeth, Johnson, (My ancestor), Mark, Mary Ann, Solomon Rainey, James R., William B, and Mahala.
Joseph was listed on his marriage papers as Robinson, but all children named Robertson.
Joseph died in 1833, near Frankfort, KY
I also have a possible in Lanarkshire, but this is not the place to post that lookup request.
Any information will be greatly appreciated, and I will share what we have on the children
Thank you,  John Robertson    Moderator Comment: Email address removed - reply to message or use Personal Messaging facility on RootsChat
Robertson/Robinson, Johnson, Ziegner, Gibbs,  my line.
Moore, Bolton, Estes, Collins,  wife's line

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Rainey Robertson lookup
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 January 05 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 January 05 01:22 GMT (UK) »
No, I haven't had any valid responses.
I also have a query on the Lanark site, and nothing there either.
I know that sometimes  it will be months, sometimes years before any informaiton shows up.
If you would like to remove this one, I have no objection, especially if the space is limited.
I am currently getting ready to submit a DNA sample through the  Donnachaidh (Robertson) Project site, to compare with some others who have already done so, and he has come up with several others who match him - some with scores fo 35 out of 35.
My line is a direct male line to Joseph Rainey Robertson.  Even if I don't match with him, it may bring up someone else who will match with mine.  In his line he associates with the Hamilton Lanark robertson's and I have a possible Robertson birth there, also.
Thank you, John

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 January 05 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Thanks for the update.  No problem leaving the thread on here - I was just hoping we could prompt someone into a response for you!  :D

I'm interested in the DNA exercise.  Don't forget to let us know how you get on with it.

Good luck in your search.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ndpaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 August 05 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hello, One of my grgr granduncles William Shand married Isabella Rainie 29 Aug 1847. They had quite a number of Children(12), one of them being named Elizabeth Robertson Shand.They lived in the Pitsligo area  most of their lives and then Sandhaven near Fraserburgh. They are buried in Peathill Cem.near Pitsligo. Just thought that the Rainie?Renny/Rennie/Rainey with the Robertson connection may be a follow-up. My own line goes back to the Robertsons from Banffshire around Grange and Cairnie By Huntly.Good Luck in your search.ndpaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 August 05 03:00 BST (UK) »
The children of my Joseph Rainey Robertson were born, as far as I can tell, from 1798 (James R. Robertson) to 1820 (Mary Ann),  which appears to be earlier than your Elizabeth.
As for the Rainey middle name of Joseph, his son Solomon Rainey Robertson makes me pretty sure that it is truly Joseph's middle name.
However, I do not know where that name came from.  I do know that he devolved from a Hamilton line sometime in history, from my 37 marker FT DNA test.  In fact I match very closely to both Hamilons and Robertson, at about a 3:1 ratio in favor of the Hamiltons.  I even tried checking DNA agains the Rainey name, (thinking that he might have been named after his mother), and didn't get any matches.
I haven't been able to find the Hamilton connection yet, tho.
Someone suggested "the Laird and the Scullery maid", but I suspect that a Robertson married a Hamilton widow who had at least one male child, and they were raised with the Robertson name.
Good luck in your searches.
John