Author Topic: Winchester Criminal Records  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Yorkshire Rose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Winchester Criminal Records
« on: Thursday 17 September 09 22:36 BST (UK) »
I have just found out that my Gran was convicted and imprisoned for selling ration coupons after WWII.

I believe she was sent to Holloway prison.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction to find out more details of her conviction and sentence.

She lived in Wincester at the time

Yours hopefully.

Offline North of Watford G

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Winchester Criminal Records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 September 09 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Try Winchester Azzies or the local paper of the time.

Cheers Roger.

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Winchester Criminal Records
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 20:15 BST (UK) »
It will probably mean a check of the Hampshire Chronicle.  I tried to find a press report of a similar case for a male without success in August 2008 but if you post me her name via PM I will 'tie' it in with my searches as I'm sure there were similar cases and we didn't have a women's prison in Winchester.

I wasn't allowed access to the relevant Calendar of Prisoners Register due to closure for 100 years.  However, the archivist subsequently confirmed that no details were recorded in the index for the male that I named.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk