Author Topic: Mills in Guernsey Channel Isle's lookup  (Read 7049 times)

Offline bristol170

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mills in Guernsey Channel Isle's lookup
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheran

managed a few minutes at the library today:

All records are from the Town Church, St. Peter Port registers

Jean Mills son of Alexandre Mills and his wife Marie née Eustace, born 2 Jun 1815, baptised 11 Jun 1815, godparents Jean Eustace, Alexandre Mills and Elizabeth Eustace.
Jean also had siblings, including sisters named Sarah, Elizabeth, and Mary Ann (I didn't have time to make an exhaustive search!).

Henriette Le Tissier daughter of Daniel Le Tissier and Anne née Robilliard his wife, born 19 Sep 1813, baptised 29 Sep 1813, godparents Nicolas Robert, Elizabeth Robilliard and Anne Le Tissier.
Henriette also had siblings, including Sophie, Margueritte, and Thomas- again I didn't have the time to research further.

Alfred Mills son of John Mills and Harriet née Le Tissier, born 20 Apr 1840, baptised 2 May 1840, godparents John Mills, John Alexander Mills and Harriet Mills. Note that by this time the English influence meant that many names were being anglicised, so Jean, Alexandre and Henriette have become John, Alexander and Harriet.

Hope that helps you....

Andy

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Andy

Thanks so much for the trouble you have taken in this research.    It has been invaluable!!!!

Cheran

:)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheran

managed a few minutes at the library today:

All records are from the Town Church, St. Peter Port registers

Jean Mills son of Alexandre Mills and his wife Marie née Eustace, born 2 Jun 1815, baptised 11 Jun 1815, godparents Jean Eustace, Alexandre Mills and Elizabeth Eustace.
Jean also had siblings, including sisters named Sarah, Elizabeth, and Mary Ann (I didn't have time to make an exhaustive search!).

Henriette Le Tissier daughter of Daniel Le Tissier and Anne née Robilliard his wife, born 19 Sep 1813, baptised 29 Sep 1813, godparents Nicolas Robert, Elizabeth Robilliard and Anne Le Tissier.
Henriette also had siblings, including Sophie, Margueritte, and Thomas- again I didn't have the time to research further.

Alfred Mills son of John Mills and Harriet née Le Tissier, born 20 Apr 1840, baptised 2 May 1840, godparents John Mills, John Alexander Mills and Harriet Mills. Note that by this time the English influence meant that many names were being anglicised, so Jean, Alexandre and Henriette have become John, Alexander and Harriet.

Hope that helps you....

Andy

It is extremely interesting and only make me look for more information  to complete the F.T. so if you do have any time any information you find is invaluable.  I certainly can't find anything like that info in Australia.

Do you by chance know of any sites I could read a little more about the history of the Channel Islands.

Offline jacmills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 04:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for information on Alexander Mills who lived in St peter Port Guernsey.He left in 1859 to new zealand. he was born in 1784 in Fermanagh ireland.

The information I have says he married Emily Emma Webb. They both appear in the 1856 census for Guernsey( i have read this in another online post). This post also give Emily's parents names as Charles Webb and Maria Pyke.

I am looking for any further information that I can find.

Thanks
Jacqui

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 August 10 07:49 BST (UK) »
Jacqui

Sorry I am not much help to you!

As you can see from the posts, Alfred Mills godparent is given as an Alexander Mills as well as his father John (Jean Mills) having a father called Alexandre Mills and a godparent Alexander Mills.

Alfred came to australia in 1855 when he was about 14 but I can't piece together other than his immediate family and some grandparents at this stage.

Let me know if you find any connection.

Cheran