Author Topic: PUGH PEW and maybe MASONs in Pershore  (Read 1384 times)

Offline dillybert

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
PUGH PEW and maybe MASONs in Pershore
« on: Thursday 17 September 09 23:27 BST (UK) »
This might make you smile!
So, in London in the early 1800's, Francis Mason Pew and Elizabeth have a batch of children - Sarah Mason Pew (1801), Francis Pew (1804-1805) and my direct ancestor Margaret Mason Pew (c1807). Although I can't find a baptism for her, she marries twice so I know that she is the child of Francis Mason Pew, tailor.
Francis is a Tailor in Union Street in Lambeth and made a will which is proved in 1820. He leaves various money and bits and bobs to his immediate family, including Elizabeth, and Sarah and Margaret (who is a minor at this point).

I didn't have a birth for Francis - the only Francis Mason Pew/Pugh in the IGI was born in 1740 which seems way too far back. So brick wall for years...

Until yesterday - Yesterday I happened to look at the burials for St Mary's Lambeth and found his burial in 1820. The devil was 80 when he died, giving his last child born when he was 67!! I know this is him because the dates tie in with the will and the address is the same as that given when little Francis dies in 1805.

So, suddenly, Francis Mason Pugh, baptized 1740 in Pershore Worcester adds up very nicely...
In the IGI, this leads me to a Thomas Pugh and Margaret, but not much else - don't see a marriage for them. 

I see the Mason family was big in Pershore, so anyone who's done any work on the Masons that *didn't* go to USA would be welcome to see where I might be able to fit mine in - I'm hoping there might be a Pershore Mason link somewhere back there, important enough for two generations to keep Mason as a middle name maybe??. Or maybe not.  Any help or thoughts welcome.

dilly

SMITH - Brewood/Coven, Staffs; FORSTER, Staffs; BIGGS - Lidlington, Beds; WILLCOCKS, Devon/South London; ALLEN - IOW/SouthLondon