Author Topic: Day trip on the Hay-Brecon railway  (Read 14991 times)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Day trip on the Hay-Brecon railway
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 September 09 18:13 BST (UK) »
For the record a well known author of books on hereford railways sugests that johnson 0-4-4tanks were much used on this line up untill the grouping in 1948 that is.

That is the sort of confirmation I've been seeking.  My books are silent on that subject.  It must have been specially posed - if the train's presence is not just a coincidence - as the train is some way from the station and the chara' is parked in the cattle market.  Perhaps the cobblestones underfoot are there because it was a cattle market.  There was clearly no road on the map (neither in 1905 nor 1953).

I'm quite happy to have had my doubts dispelled :)

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 September 09 20:13 BST (UK) »
To help dispell your doubts, Geoff, I would add that the cattle market itself was actually accessible from the road which led up towards the Station (ie Free Street/Cerrigcochion Road). Although the map you post shows a line, I think that is an indication of the edge of the carriageway.  The cattle market hasn't been gone for  many years, so most of us who live in the area will remember having access to the cattle market area from this road, because there wasn't actually a physical barrier.

Now I shall sit back quietly and await developments regarding the presence of johnson 0-4-4 tanks on the line; am afraid I won't be able to help you with that one! ;D

Regards to all,
Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 September 09 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
Great Answers.

I been relooking at the no 1 post photo! the top right two carriages look right and can see a level line of them also the two wheels on the right carriage top right over the man in a light mac sat on the bus bonet! Yet the engine seems to be at a lower level. see old train photo in one post with carriages.

Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 08:42 BST (UK) »
I do believe you are right Dobfarm - well spotted!  Am I right in thinking that the map posted shows two lines of rails at this point?  I'm not in work today so I don't have access to the old aerial photos (still don't know if  copyright will permit me to post or not, and as there is some doubt, I don't feel comfortable until I've satisfied myself about the situation) but I'll have a look tomorrow, unless someone posts a definitive answer in the meantime.

Regards
Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 09:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry, must disagree with that one.  The "Johnson tank" was not very tall, apart from its chimney.  The chimney appears to be a similar height to the top of the coaches, perhaps slightly higher.

Here's another picture of a Johnson, taken just a couple of hundred yards from where I am sitting now (not at Gloucester) http://tinyurl.com/yd3tjuy (apologies - the "tiny url" website has been playing up - it should return)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 12:55 BST (UK) »
only a mock up of what it could be or? THE GHOST TRAIN
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 14:29 BST (UK) »

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 18:14 BST (UK) »
Congratulations to Greensleeves for identifying the location as Brecon.

So, after all the speculation on the other thread, I think it can be settled that the engine is a Midland Railway 0-4-4 tank. 

I suggest the train has come from Hereford, has run through Brecon station and has stopped on the embankment before reversing and pushing the carriages back to the Up platform on the other track.  Then the engine will uncouple, run back and around the carriages to recouple at the other end, before heading east on an excursion to Hereford or maybe further into England.  Stratford-on-Avon, maybe?

All this would give the party plenty of time to have their photo taken before boarding the train.

If they'd been going to Swansea, the train (assuming it is their train) would simply have stopped at the Down platform and would be off-camera to the right.
Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.