Author Topic: Crossley Hospital, Ancoats, Manchester  (Read 46315 times)

Offline Tabigail

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crossley Hospital, Ancoats, Manchester
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again Viktoria.  I shall have to visit the museum virtually as I live abroad.
Perhaps I could contact them by email.

Cheers
Tabigail

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 13:17 GMT (UK) »
There were a few synagogue's along Cheetham hill road at one time.
there was the reform synagogue on the corner of Park place and Cheetham hill road built 1858, which was destroyed  WW2 1940
The central synagogue was at the bottom of Cheetham hill road up to 1928
The new central synagogue built around 1926ish on corner of Heywood street & Bellot street.

Migky  ;)

Offline Pippakit

• RootsChat Member
  • Mary Jane Brewer with Gwendoline 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 23:20 BST (UK) »
I have only just seen this.

I was told that I was born in the Star Hall (January 1951), my sisters were born there aswell.
My mother and her family were staunch Salvation Army folk but they were from Cornwall.
My mother married my dad (who was from Manchester) in Cornwall but they settled in Third Avenue, Clayton,
which was my father's home.
Mother told me that the Star Hall was a Maternity Hospital operated by the Salvation Army and that
her place was booked there each time before she gave birth to us three girls.

Would I have been born in the Star Hall of the 1967 photo or the 1910 version?
And would it have been called the Star Hall or Crossley's Hospital at that time (1951)?

Offline cren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 18 August 11 13:35 BST (UK) »
in 1960 -I too was born in what my mum used to call - crossley 'nursing' home
we didnt have any sally army links that I know of and I was the youngest of 5 children my mum wasnt a single parent any pics would be great if anyone has any

Offline Sally Ann Major

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 12:29 BST (UK) »
As with many Salvation Army social centres for unmarried women, Crossley Hospital was also used by married women from the surrounding area for the births of their babies.  These 'local' patients as they were referred to, helped to subsidise the running of the homes/hospitals as the unmarried women were often unable to pay much/anything towards their stay and treatment.  The unmarried women usually stayed at our maternity home 'Oak Hill' in Cheetham Hill or (from 1933) Mandley Park Avenue, for several months both before and after the birth of the babies.

Unfortunately the ‘huge ledgers’ do not appear to have survived, as they are not at the SA heritage centre, which is a great shame.  However, some discharge records do survive from our Women’s Social Work (WSW) headquarters, although there is a gap in coverage from early 1942 to early 1949.

The SA heritage centre can be contacted on:

heritage[at]salvationarmy.org.uk

Offline royd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 27 October 11 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Sally Ann.

My parents were officers in the SA locally so that is why I was born there.  Unfortunately, the year I am interested in is 1947!  I was in touch with the Heritage Centre a while ago but no joy sadly.

Regards. R.
Wests of West Wycombe.
Druces of High Wycombe
Cork(e)s of Kent
Goodwins of Kent
Taylors of Liverpool and Dysart
Truemans of Liverpool
Lavells of Ireland and Liverpool
McGowans of Scotland and Liverpool

Offline Dora Chadwick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 04:38 GMT (UK) »
My mother was born in what she called Crossley Hospital in 1927. Her mother was married and not poor but her family did have relationship with the Booth Family so may be why she went there.

Offline pearly sj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 20 February 12 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Royd, So sorry it took me so long to reply,lots of things going on.
Really no idea where the ledgers would have gone, I presume they have been taken somewhere.  If my memory serves me right I saw at least 3 and they each spanned a few years.  Surely they would have been removed not just destroyed.
I wasnt supposed to be in that part of the house as it was disused so i guess you could say i was snooping lol. I do regret not doing something about the ledgers now. At the time though both my friend and I would have been in hot water with the matron if we had been caught there.
One thing I do remember though was I was leaving the nurses quarters one morning and as i stepped on to Foot street I actually ruined some filming that was going on for the series of Sherlock holmes, you remember the old series on years ago.  they were doing scenes in Foot street.  This would have been around 1982 - 1984 I never saw  the finished product and have often wondered if much of the building was filmed would be interesting to see.  Going to have a scout round will let you know if I find anything xx

Offline funkyoap

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I was born in Crossley Hospital in November 1947. My mother was a single mum and I was given up for adoption. My adoptive parents had to pick me me up from my mother at the hospital and she had to actually hand me over. I cannot imagine what that must have been like for her.I have tried to find documentation of my existence at the hospital, but have been told by the SA that records were destroyed in a fire. I would like to know how my mother ended up there when her family home was in County Durham. Any ideas please.....funkyoap