Author Topic: Cairo Gang  (Read 21968 times)

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cairo Gang
« Reply #54 on: Monday 04 April 11 21:11 BST (UK) »
Corisande, came across a W.E.Crewe, Intelligence Officer, "F" Co. Auxiliary, with photographs on R.I.C/ Auxiliary Forum, I posted some photos on there from the Piaras Beaslai Papers, which you might be interested in, one relates to 6 members of "F" Co, one of them is Reynolds who was giving information to I.R.A. Intelligence.
CSM

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 04 April 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
CSM

Thanks, I have those photos already. Got mine from IRA Intelligence Book in Bureau of Military History.

Many of the photos the IRA had were copies or copies of copies. The "Cairo Gang" photo had at least 2 versions of same negative

Reynolds is a particularly interesting man, have a look at my notes on him on this link,  anything anyone can add most welcome
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Private 1st class

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 12 August 11 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi that area near the Palace st gate could be the location. That lane was the width of a Bedford truck and had enough space to move both sides of the truck, The buildings on the right are no longer there. It was a dark grubby place even on a summers day.At the top right hand side where the trailer is. The door there led into the day room of the black and tans. They moved out of there shortly after they murdered McKee Clune Clancy. The front door leads out into the lane at the side of city hall. There was a little museum in that room for a number of years. They moved out to a house at Ships St gate, There were cells along the corridor. also cells down into the ground about ten feet in the door on the right. There was a way through there up to the upper yard you came out the door in the building in the right hand cornor , Could be the stamping branch was there.There was a small yard where you could put someone into and in a second door was a spy hole You could see the person but they could not see you. There was an area there like the back ground in the photo.