Author Topic: J J Fitzgerald, Barrack Protection Officer, Clare 1920  (Read 4152 times)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
J J Fitzgerald, Barrack Protection Officer, Clare 1920
« on: Sunday 20 September 09 12:50 BST (UK) »
I am researching the short life of John Joseph Fitzgerald 1898 to 1920

I have a separate thread in Tipperary Forum on his life there.

In a nutshell he was raised in Tipperary, joined the British Army and fought in WW1, which I have documented. Transferred from a soldier to an airman, and was captured in 1917, and released in December 1918.

He joined the RIC around June 1920, was based in Clare for a while, was wounded, went to Dublin for treatment and was shot in the Cairo Gang raids of November 1920

What I know about his time in Clare is what I hope a reader here can help me with. Abbots Police Casualties in Ireland tells me

He had, until just before his death, been a "Defence of Barracks" officer in Co Clare (ie some or all of the time from June to Nov 1920). Whilst on duty he was kidnapped by the IRA. Reports say they tried to kill him with his own revolver, which misfired. He was then dragged into a field and placed against a wall to be shot. During the struggle his arm was dislocated and when the IRA shot him, he dropped to the ground pretending to be dead. Later seizing an opportunity to leap over the wall and escape. He went to Dublin to get treatment for his wounds

Can anyone help with filling in any more about this incident, or anything else that J J Fitzgerald might have done in Clare.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling