Author Topic: Thomas Bell of county Kildare  (Read 7280 times)

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Bell of county Kildare
« Reply #36 on: Friday 15 September 23 20:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks PJB, I'm always looking out for more information on this family. She must have been Elizabeth Lapham, sister of Sarah Hanks.
It's interesting to see where the Memoirs are accurate and where misinformation has crept in. From my summary: "The reminiscences of John Montgomery say that his mother Mary Parke was born 'on her father's estate, Ephraim Park in Raheine [Raheen] Baltinglass.'  The memoirs are only partly right, as memoirs often are. 'Ephraim Park', where she is supposed to have been born, is not the name of her birthplace but of her brother who is named after his uncle Ephraim Boak."
Please send me you email address if you'd like to read what I've written up on the Parkes and Boakes.
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline PJB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 15 September 23 21:09 BST (UK) »
Message sent
Butler, Delaney, Phelan Gaffney, Nolan, Colman in Ireland

Watson, Nobbs, Page, Shorten in England

Offline Monty128

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Montgomery 1693 and son William Montgomery
« Reply #38 on: Monday 18 September 23 08:19 BST (UK) »
Does anybody have access to the Quaker records or can add information to the following

Nothing is yet known about John Montgomery born 1693 Williams father because it is believed that he became a Quaker and was disinherited because of it
The Quakers are known to have kept detailed records but these have not yet been examined for details about John Montgomery or his son William

His son William ended up living at Ardress House in Loughgall. His mother may have been related to the Clarke family or he may have been taken in by his Cole relatives who were also connected to the Clarke family of Loughgall.  There are a number of ways William could have ended up, possibly as an orphan, at Ardress House in about 1737. 

William Montgomerys first wife apparently left him
Currently there are no details of Williams first wife

Offline Bellejazz

• I have turned off my notifications
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 25 November 23 03:29 GMT (UK) »
I am even later to this thread but wanted to chime in to mention that I am a descendant of Ephraim & Margery through their daughter Abigail who unfortunately married and then passed away 2 weeks after giving birth to her only child, a son named Francis Boake Carter. She was only 17. Her husband was William Carter "a person of much respectability, advancing to the middle period of life. He kept an eminent  china shop in Grafton Street" (in Dublin I believe). His grief was apparently such that he never remarried and my 4th ggrandfather Francis Boake Carter was his only child. I've not been able to establish who William Carters parents were sadly.

Unlike most quaker families of the time who are meticulously recorded, as mentioned Margery was Ephraims niece so they were no longer welcome at meetings and their lives were sadly not as well documented. I'm not sure of the discrepancy regarding the age of Sarah Boake when she supposedly had her daughter Mary as I've not really looked into that side of the family at this stage, I don't recall hearing/reading Margery & Ephraim had raised Mary so that's very interesting to learn.

The family are mentioned in Mary Leadbeater Shackeltons "Annals of Ballitore", where she actually writes of the death of Ephraims daughter Abigail. I read it a few years ago now so not sure if it mentions the Butlers or Bells as I was mainly keen to find the parts that concerned Ephraim but it is an interesting read. The Quakers are fascinating and given how large many of the families are and their fondness for using the same names repeatedly, very challenging and time consuming to unravel!  :D

I am a little late to this thread.

I have recently found out that I share YDNA with Captain Thomas Butler who led the Irish settlers out to South Africa in 1820. I am not a descendant of Captain Thomas Butler rather my Kildare Butler line and Thomas's line share a common Ancestor.

I have read through John Montgonerys book and to paraphase John he writes his mother Mary Parkes born 1762 and the wife of Captain Thomas Butler, Elizabeth, grew up together. I have Sarah Parkes Nee Boakes death as 29 Aug 1750 from Quaker records, if this is correct she cannot be the mother of Mary Parkes born 1762, even if the the death date is incorrect Sarah Parkes Nee Boakes would have been 50 years old when Mary was born.

I am told that Mary was brought up by her sister Margery Park and her husband Ephraim Boake, an interesting marriage as Margery is Ephraim Boake's niece, again the quaker records. If Ephraim Boake and Magery did bring up Mary then that puts Mary in the same area as Elizabeth the wife of Captain Thomas Butler and brings credence to Johns book.

I am interested in the Christian Name of the daughter of Thomas Bell who married Thomas Parke of Baranstown, Wicklow or any additional information.

This is an extreamly interesting bit of research

https://www.1820settlers.com/genealogy/settlershowparty.php?party=Butler

Boake Carter: Dublin Ire. - Williamstown VIC Corbet(t): Northern Ire. - Creswick VIC Croak/Croke/Croker: Kilkenny Ire. - Creswick Hob(b)el: Salzgitter Germany - Talbot VIC Mulford: London UK - Williamstown VIC Mitchell: Kildare Ire. - Lilydale VIC Orenshaw: Uttoxeter UK - Creswick Rischmuller: Gottingen Germany - Ballarat VIC Smedley: Derbyshire UK - Kilmore VIC Wassmann: Salzgitter Ward: Tipperary Ire - Creswick VIC.