Author Topic: 1916 - Women who served in the Rising  (Read 15434 times)

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1916 - Women who served in the Rising
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 March 15 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robbielir

What do you want to know about Katie? Ask me and if I can help you I will.

Shiraz

Offline Robbielir1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 March 15 07:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm focusing on the the events leading up to and everything that happened at City hall on  the Monday. I have been able to gather a number of eye witness testimony from the likes of Kathleen Lynn and Helena Maloney but very little is available on Katie. What did she do when he was shot? What were her duties on that day? if you could tell me when she was married and to whom?

It is my hope to tell the story that hasn't been told yet. These people while fondly remembered, have not had the chance to have their story told on a wider platform.

On a personal note, I have a great sense of pride knowing that while everyone was Downing tools to fight for their freedom, Artists were no different. I'm particularly fascinated by the fact that Sean was playing the lead in Kathleen NiHoulihan at the time.  Yeats is quoted later as saying:

"Did that play of mine send out certain men the English shot?"

Sean was the first to fall in the rising. I want him to be remembered because I am proud of him, his story is fascinating. He was an artist and as an artist, I would like to eulogise him in a way in which I seem fitting One of my fellow craftsmen.

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 March 15 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robbielir1987
Katie was the 7th child of 16 children born in 1887 to Michael & Mary Connolly. Like her brothers she joined the ICA early on and trained with them in Croyden Park. She is seen in her uniform in the famous picture taken outside Croyden Park  House, flanked by Michael Mallin. She was also a member of Cumann na mBan from 1917. She worked at Alex Thom printers as a machinist. In 1912 she married Jim Barrett a painter and decorator with offices and a workshop in Molesworth Street. She worked in the relief kitchens in Liberty Hall during the 1913 lock-out. After the capture of City Hall she was imprisoned from 24th April until 12th May. She was out again in the Civil War, and saw service in Jenkinson's in Capel Street, the Duke of Leinster's in Parnell Street and Barry's Hotel. She was arrested and imprisoned in the North Dublin Union.  She was involved in collecting funds for prisoners and dependents,electioneering, protest meetings against conscription. Acted as courier between Dublin and London for acting Irish Republican Envoy Art O Brien.  Accused with others of conspiracy to disrupt the work of the new Free State Government...interned in Mountjoy Prison until released using a successful writ of habeaus corpus, resulting in compensation and resettlement.  Katie died in 1938 and was survived by her husband, they never had any children.

Offline Robbielir1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 March 15 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shiraz,

This is amazing! Do you know if she ever spoke of her experience that morning, and what happened from her perspective at City hall?

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 March 15 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Sean was shot on the roof of City Hall and as he lay dying was tended to by Helena Molony and Kathleen Lynn, Katie was elsewhere in the building treating a man who had been shot earlier in the day.  Sean's body remained on the roof until after the building was occupied by British Troops, it was then buried in a temporary grave in the gardens of the Castle until claimed by the family and re-interred in Glasenevin Cemetery.

Shiraz

Offline Robert Rae

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Shiraz - I'm currently researching for a play which references your relatives Sean and Katie. The information on Katie was very helpful - I'd like to ask you some more questions. My email is (*) and I wondered if you would be kind enough to contact me. best wishes Robert 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline RedTulip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 25 December 15 23:12 GMT (UK) »
I am a first cousin of your mother Monica.  I'm currently writing a book on the family which has a lot to say about Joe.  Please let me have your e-mail address and I will communicate with you directly.    ;) shiraz

Hi Shiraz,

Did you finish the book?  If so where can I get it?

Thanks.

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 26 December 15 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Red Tulip wishing you the compliments of the season and a happy and prosperous New Year. The book is currently with the publisher in Ireland.  I am awaiting a decision which will be given mid January as to whether they will publish it or not. If they decide not to, I'll have to hawk it around some other publishing houses. I'll keep you posted.

Shiraz