Author Topic: Sophia Martin/Martain c1808  (Read 941 times)

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sophia Martin/Martain c1808
« on: Sunday 20 September 09 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi All

This lady is my GT Gt Gt Grandmother and is a little bit of a mystery. On her marriage certificate ( a relation has this) her father is shown as Thomas Martain. Prior to her marriage to Harry/Henry Pitt she has 4 daughters; Mary Ann 1833-4, Caroline 1835/6, Catherine 1837/8 and Sarah 1841.

Mary, Caroline and Catherine are with their mother - on the 1841 census.

Mary and Sarah are on the 1851 with Sophia and Henry and the new children of the marriage.

Marys marriage certificate is confusing as she is shown as Mary Ann Martin with father Herny Martin (not Pitt) but this may be Henry Pitt as occupation shown as carpenter.

So after all that my query is :

was Sophia married prior to her marriage to Henry Pitt? I find it very unusual for someone to have 4 children out of  wedlock, she is apparently of independant means on the 1841 census.

This is all happening in Portsea/Portsmouth if anyone can find anything I would be grateful

Thank you

SAndra
Fenn from Denham Bucks and Honeywell from Downton Wilts

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sophia Martin/Martain c1808
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 September 09 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have found Mary Ann Martin's baptism on 22 Aug 1834 and only her mother is recorded.  I haven't manage to find Caroline or Catherine at all.  It doesn't say in the transcript that the child was illegitimate, but it would be the logical conclusion to draw from the absence of a father's name.

A Sophia Martin was baptised in Portsea in 1808, 2nd Nov, to parents Thomas & Mary.

The marriage certificate of Sophia and Henry ought to answer the question of whether she was married before - except she could easily have lied.  :-\

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 September 09 23:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you

That info has confirmed her father as per her marriage cert. I had thought that as she was martin and her father Martain, that perhaps she had married a Mr Martin, or even a cousin as often seems to have happened.

Catherine and Caroline are a real mystery I can only find them in the 1841, they would have been 15 and 13 in 1851 and could have been in service.

More digging to do

Thank you very much for your help

Nicwnacw

Offline IOW Maiden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 September 09 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Nicwnacw,
there is a Caroline Martin born 1835 Portsea, at Portsea Island Workhouse listed as a pauper in the 1851 census.
IOW Maiden
All Lock/e's Isle of Wight
Hobbs, Brown, Jacobs and Payne,Isle of Wight
Haynes,Sharp,Moisey,Wood,Blackburn and Earnshaw in West Yorkshire
Denham and Claughton Leeds
Hanmer in Ruabon and Llansilin Wales,St Martins Shropshire,Durham,South and West Yorkshire.
Cox and Holmes Birmingham

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 September 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Thank you for your help - one day I hope to be able to go to a record office myself!

Another relative has now produced Sophia and Henrys Marr cert, she is shown asa spinster of full age, father Thomas martain. So it all fits together. I think I will have a little trawl through the census records and see if I can find Henry living near Sophia.

Thank you all again you helped clear up some points for the family

Nicwnacw