Author Topic: George William WRIGHT, SA  (Read 6646 times)

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: George William WRIGHT, SA
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 September 09 13:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Kris, for your time and effort! The death for George, I had that previously, but for some reason it had a question mark by it. It's good to confirm it.
JONES, HALL, CHACE, WRIGHT, CROCKER, NEPEAN, LAWRANCE, THORPE, ELLIOT, MORAN, all in South Australia. STÄRKE, SCHOLZ/SHOLZ in Prussia and South Australia. WATERS, FOWLER, INCE, MEARS, LLOYD, TRUSTER and COOPER in England (mainly Surrey). FRANKORT, LEUNISSEN, MUIJRERS, BROURERS, GORISSEN, DAMOISEAUX and LAHAYE/LAHIAJE in Limburg, Netherlands.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 September 09 13:17 BST (UK) »
Glad to help Lauren,

Here is Catherine's death

WRIGHT Catherine died 3 June 1917 Kensington Park Dist Nor 410 409. She was aged 80 a widow rel George WRIGHT deceased husband residence Kensington PARK

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 September 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4956139

Pity there was not more details

WRIGHT
.-On the 29th August, at Ringmore road, Marryatville, George, beloved husband of Catherine Wright, aged 69 years, leaving three sons, three daughters, 27 grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren to mourn their loss.

buried at Payneham

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4956110

You will find other entries

found dead in bed

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4955822

I see George Jr and Louise also lived at Marryatville = notice in paper when her brother Lawrence  died in France

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5540154

also photo of his own son who was also killed in action

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/6460189

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Lauren,

I forgot to mention I did not find any sign of a birth in SA for George but 1836 is the very beginning for SA so it is just possible he was born here.   :-\

If that was the case being so early along with being Catholic I doubt there will be any records of a birth.

Also nothing definite on an arrival or a father George William. (If only they would use their middle name it would make it so much easier where such a common name is concerned.) Numerous George WRIGHT'S in SA.  I did find on the net that daughter Catherine born about 1867 married Andrew James LYSAGHT so suspect there was a second daughter Catherine. I do not see this marriage in SA but an Andrew LYSAGHT and  Kate/Catherine WRIGHT had 3 children in Quorn from 1899 and along with about 9 children (from memory of last night) I saw listed to George Jr that only makes about 12 so well short of the 27 grandchildren  listed to George at death. Wish I could have found more mention of the children from the papers but alas only his wife and son George seem to be mentioned in the memorials.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 03:42 BST (UK) »
Confusing family they are

I have found in Broken Hill a marriage

LYSAGHT Andrew J = WORSLEY Catherine 2951/1897     

alas no Wright Worsley marriage.

Looking further I do note

WORSLEY Levi = BISSON Catherine 2758/1892

3 births to Levi and Catherine in Broken Hill. Levi died in Broken Hill in 1896

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm

so we possibly get back to   

BIRSON Henry 25 single father John BIRSON = WRIGHT Katie 21 single father George WRIGHT 14 Jan 1885 St Ignatius Norwood Dist Nor 142/161

I don't see any births to this union. There was a Henry BISSON died Portland Place Dist PtA 11 Sep 1888. He was aged 29 status and relative not recorded. Res Portland Place. Henry James BISSON born in 4 Sep 1859 Adelaide dist Ade 15 168 parents John BISSON and Rachel BONDEL

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 06:55 BST (UK) »
Wow, I am confused! I'll have to read this through a few times. Thank you bunches for all your time and efforts, Kris, I appreciate it a lot.
JONES, HALL, CHACE, WRIGHT, CROCKER, NEPEAN, LAWRANCE, THORPE, ELLIOT, MORAN, all in South Australia. STÄRKE, SCHOLZ/SHOLZ in Prussia and South Australia. WATERS, FOWLER, INCE, MEARS, LLOYD, TRUSTER and COOPER in England (mainly Surrey). FRANKORT, LEUNISSEN, MUIJRERS, BROURERS, GORISSEN, DAMOISEAUX and LAHAYE/LAHIAJE in Limburg, Netherlands.

Offline Gil Wright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 November 20 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Just came across this thread and decided to add my 5c.

I believe George (William) Wright was not Catholic but after marry Catholic Catherine, his kids were brought up Catholic.

I have George as the son of George (yes - too many Georges) and Mary Ann Crookes...

George+Mary/Ann immigrated to Australia on board the "Stag" in 1850. With them were: George (1834), John (1836), Frank (1838), Jesse (1845), William (1847), Harry (1849). They left 3 deceased children in England: Mary (1829), Harriet (1831) and James (1841). Their oldest daughter Jane immigrated with her husband arriving on the same day but on "Fatima". Her husband was John Wright (hopefully no relation).

Not sure how likely it was that George (1834) actually had William as a middle name - although his son did and at least one document suggested that George (of George+MaryAnn) was also a user of the middle name William. The challenge is that it seems strange to name a later son with the same first name as an earlier son had as a middle name...

Best supporting evidence? I have about 20 DNA matches with the children of George (maybe William) and his wife Catherine but my line is Frank (1838) :-)

Offline Gil Wright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 November 20 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Adding... the newspaper said six surviving children: 3 male, 3 female in 1905...

The children I have dates for are: Eliza LEES (1857-1918), Mary Jane DOWDY (1859-), Catherine BISSON/WORSLEY/LYSAGHT (1863-), George William (1866-1928), Thomas (1868-1891), Robert (1870-1925), Charles (1874-1952), Emily LABATO/LIVINGSTON (1878-1917).

Thomas had already died leaving three boys and but I count 4 girls unless Mary Jane or Catherine died before 1905.

I have also seen a lot of trees with an Emma WELLS (1860- ) in here but I have not found any proof.

Offline Gil Wright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 November 20 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Maybe I have George and George William confused....