Author Topic: Stoke War Hospital WW1  (Read 10062 times)

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Stoke War Hospital WW1
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 12:20 BST (UK) »
I have now received my relative's death certificate but it only contains the stamped entry 'Temporary Military Hospital Stoke upon Trent'.

I did find this on another forum:

The following is from Johnny Get Your Gun a personal narrative by John Tucker a Londoner serving with the Kensingtons.

We were put into a hospital train in the charge of a very fierce matron. We passed through London at night, much to my disappointment, and on to Newcastle-under-Lyme, near Stoke. I was taken by motor ambulance to Stoke War Hospital, actually at Newcastle.

The hospital set in neat grounds surrounded by a high wall, was originally the Stoke Workhouse.

My ward was a light, high ceilinged room, holding probably about 16 to 18 beds. On the right hand side of each bed there was a white cupboard. The iron bedsteads were covered with a clean white counterpain. The walls were dove grey distempered with white woodwork. The ward was immaculatley clean.

Also, I have been put in touch with someone who has more information on the hospital, so I hope this will take me to the next level of research.

Thanks

Clive
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 14:26 BST (UK) »
Oh lovely Clive.
                    the Stoke workhouse is on the Potteries site.
Don't forget to post the info'.

stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline VeraH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 09:20 GMT (UK) »
 died at the Stoke War Hospital in 1918.
The City General Hospital now North Staffs hospital Centre at Newcastle on the A34 road used to be the poor law hospital for Stoke on Trent. This I know was available for patients both in the WW1 and WW2.

Offline mccormackj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 March 12 14:45 GMT (UK) »
I have a photograph taken in 1916 of Stoke War Hospital and it is easy to identify the buildings/architecture from it.

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 March 12 15:07 GMT (UK) »
I have a photograph taken in 1916 of Stoke War Hospital and it is easy to identify the buildings/architecture from it.

Thanks - are you able to post it here.

Clive
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.

Offline mccormackj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 March 12 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Its not a digital copy but if i had your address can copy and send it

joe

Offline Frooml

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 February 13 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Just thought you would like to know that I came across a photocopy of a photograph labelled Block A stoke military hospital.  The building is still there in Newcastle under Lyme at the university Hospital North Staffordshire NHS Trust, it is a listed building, the photograph does showit with a clock tower however that is no longer there it must have been taken down before it was listed. The building now houses the hospital Trust head Quarters, the original buildings were part of the work house and include a small church.

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 February 13 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that information. It should help me identify it.

Clive

Offline Bayne

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 21:59 BST (UK) »
The following may be of use.
There were two hospitals on the complex that is now known as University Hospital of North Staffordshire. Stoke Military Hospital was on the General Hospital Site Adjacent to the A34 Road. It received wounded soldiers and had 711 beds for other ranks no officers beds. The surviving buildings are listed and so have escaped being demolished when the new hospital was constructed.  A Block was built in 1886 as a school for 250 children living in the Workhouse. photographs and details on this link: http://www.thepotteries.org/tour/020.htm
The other site, off Queens Rd is the Royal Hospital Site and in WW1 all, or part of it, was a Red Cross convalescent hospital but I have not researched this hospital