Author Topic: tracing ten pound poms  (Read 4941 times)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
tracing ten pound poms
« on: Tuesday 22 September 09 10:44 BST (UK) »
Can any one help  in directing me in my quest to find out what happened to some rellies who took up the offer of the assisted passage migration scheme during the 50's and early 60's at all? I have the names and dates for their departure in the UK and for their arrival in Australia and have seen the entries for them on the National Archives of Australia site for their entry into Australia but that is as far as I can get.

Is there anyway that I can further my reseach at all, remembering that I have no idea where one party settled (or returned) and the other person that I am looking for was last heard of in the 1980's working somewhere (possibly a place called Punchbowl near Sydney) in NSW.

A big ask (as my teenager would say) I know, but any help would be appreciated.......thanks

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: tracing ten pound poms
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 10:49 BST (UK) »
i may be wrong, but the only way i can think of is google and the telephone books. our strict privacy laws mean its very hard to trace anyone in the last 50 years or so

perth :) :)
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Perth and thanks for a quick reply.
I had heard that the privacy laws were tight in Australia which might/would hobble me in looking for them but other than your suggested route of googling and the telephone directories I am stumped. I have tried the Google approach for one person (NSW one) but have not had much success in that way nor have I had any response from messages that I have left on genealogy message boards within the last ten years. I approached the Salvo's for help in tracing the NSW person some twenty plus years ago but again had no luck with that route either. So I thought a few thoughts on this from Australian Rootschatters may give me an idea as to were to go from here. The NSW person (I say NSW but in truth he had a wandering foot and could have been anywhere but for simplicity I will stay with the NSW bit) was born in the 1920's which has/is making the search even harder as I do not know if he is still alive or dead.

OR
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

You could try whitepages...
http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/initResSearch.do

or for more recent death notices in newspapers - tends to have more NSW announcements but many other States are included.

http://www.ryersonindex.org/

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 11:24 BST (UK) »
the deaths are easier to look at. but they are not all online. if you know whereabouts he was i would try the local societies. if you get stuck you could allways pm a few of us the names and see what we come up with.
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 13:32 BST (UK) »
old rowley

Keep trying what has been suggested to you - important to do that - but I have another possible avenue for you.

There is an ABC TV program called "Can We Help?"  http://www.abc.net.au/tv/canwehelp/   Each week there is a segment about reuniting people who have lost each other, and the staff of the program help.  If these are close rellies and it seems as though there is a good story in it for them, they may be prepared to help you - but it could take many months before they got to your case, I imagine.  Have a look at the site and if you feel like it, ask them your question. 

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Kiskeam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 19:15 BST (UK) »

Hi Old Rowley

You may find this site of assistance:  http://www.findmypast.com/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action

Best of luck with your quest.

Kiskeam
Keppel O'Callaghan Riordan Harrington Dwyer Halpin O'Brien

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi OR  :)

The NAA records should have more info on them than just the entry into Aus...including where they went after arrival.  You would have to purchase the records though, as they'll have to be scanned for you.  I think the closure on these records is the standard 30 years, so you should be able to get hold of them

Cheers

Prue

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I asked Old Rowley  by pm for the names of the people he is seeking in case they are still living. 

I think we may have found the burial record of one person and am making further enquiries about another possibility today.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk