Author Topic: Hawarden  (Read 16520 times)

Offline brephy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hawarden
« on: Tuesday 22 September 09 14:56 BST (UK) »
In late 1800s Wood Lane and Paradise Farm existed in this area.  Does anyone know of a connection between the two, and do either still exist

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hawarden
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi brephy, I know Wood Lane still exists I pass it every time I go to the archives in Hawarden :).

I don't know about Paradise Farm :(

What makes you think there is a connection between the two :-\?

Paul.

Offline brephy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 15:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Paul.   I have the birth certificate of my grandfather born Wood Lane May 1867 and the person who registered the birth was "Occupier" of Wood Lane  - no number.  His name was Weigh and was married to a probable relation.  I know that a Weigh family lived at Paradise Farm 1881.  I wondered if it was in Wood Lane and if grandfather could have been born there.  What is is like now?

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm afraid Paradise Farm no longer exists. It disappeared under what is now St David's Park. In fact, if I remember correctly, the Weigh family used to live there right up until the land was built on or certainly until the late(ish) 1960's.

The farm was off Wood Lane. In fact nearby there is a small housing developement called Paradise Place.

I'll make some enquiries and if they prove positive I'll let you know.

Good luck with your research.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline brephy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 September 09 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi  Thankyou very much for that information and for offering to send any more.  Interesting that the Weigh Family lived there for so long.  It does appear that grandfather was born at the farm as there is no number stated.  Perhaps there were no more houses in Wood Lane at that time.  I should like to know anything you can discover.

Thanks again

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 September 09 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi brephy, if you could post some Christian names I'll see if I can find any thing in the archives.

Paul.

Offline brephy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 September 09 16:23 BST (UK) »
Thankyou.  The man who registered the birth of my grandfather Aaron Phythian in 1867 was Edward Weigh.   He was a farmer from Hawarden when he married Jane Yates of Liverpool in 1851.  Aaron's mother Sarah Phythian was the daughter of Sarah nee Yates also born Liverpool.  In 1871, Sarah and Aaron were back home in Haydock with the family.  I would like to know all about Jane and Edward and any children.  Edward's father was Robert Weigh, also a farmer.

Thanks again

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 October 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Yes, I was right. Paradise Farm was occupied by the Weigh family right up until the land was bought by the developers for building houses and thus the land now forms part of St Davids Park estate. Construction of the park started in the 80's if I remember correctly.

Can't help any further at this stage.
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline brephy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 16:34 BST (UK) »
Thankyou.  I am pleased to know now more about Paradise farm and the Weigh family.  I am now looking for Jane's family in Liverpool. Thanks again.