Author Topic: Bishops Tawton and Barnstaple property  (Read 1951 times)

Offline karen.J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bishops Tawton and Barnstaple property
« on: Tuesday 22 September 09 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to locate a dwelling or group of dwellings owned by John Jerritt and auctioned off in 1843. If any one has any information or can direct me to an old map or picture I would be very grateful. The property was known as Rumsam House in Rumsam, Bishops Tawton. Is it still standing?

My second interest is the history of 98 High Street, Barnstaple where Johns wife Fanny Jeanes Jerritt lived after the auction of Rumsam until her death in 1863, the census tell me it was used as a Day school, any information and pictures would be wonderful.

Thank you,
Karen
Baker, Jarritt, Gooding, Rodwell, Hawes-Hall, Spooner, Taylor, Brockless, Worth.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Bishops Tawton and Barnstaple property
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 September 09 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

Both buildings are still standing. What I take to be Rumsam House is now surrounded by a modern housing estate - it looks early nineteenth century to me, but I'm no expert & it could be slightly earlier.

98 High Street is a fine town house (now disfigured by a fashion shop fascia) possibly second half 18th century frontage with an older core. It has one of the few remaining examples of local plasterwork in a ceiling, still preserved "floating" in the shop interior. A book that has details of the High Street in the nineteenth century gives the following occupiers for the period you're interested in:

1827-1853 John Besley, grocer & tea dealer (previous generations of the Besleys also lived there)
1851 Census I guess you have
1860-65 William Hill, hairdresser & perfumerer
1865-70s John S Clarke, painter, decorater & paper hanger
As you know, there was also a day school in the premises in 1861 with Fanny Maxwell (music & drawing) and Elizabeth Hutchings (governness) in occupation.

I assume that the front part of the premises was let & the Jerritts lived in the main part of the building/upstairs.

North Devon Record Office have a couple of leases dated 1820 & 1823 relating to property at Rumsam and John Jerritt.

I can take photos of the properties if you're interested - send me a PM so I've got your email address if you would like them

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline karen.J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 October 09 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for the information. I had a copy of John Jerritt's will and was intrigued by the amount of property he owned, he also seemed to have a warehouse at ?Castle Quay in Barnstaple.  He may have been involved in the timber trade, his brother James Jerritt was a cabinetmaker.

Karen
Baker, Jarritt, Gooding, Rodwell, Hawes-Hall, Spooner, Taylor, Brockless, Worth.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 09 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

Castle Quay as it existed in the 1840s/50s is no more I'm afraid - the whole site was redeveloped in the late 19th century for a railway station & power station (now mostly housing/offices)/ I'll check & see if I've any old photos for the area

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Jmritter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 20 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi. I realize this is a long shot because this thread is over 10 years old, but it's worth a try. John Jarritt was my 4x great-grandfather and I'm looking for any information out there on him (haven't been able to find much so far). Please let me know if there's anything on him you'd be willing to share. Thanks.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 July 20 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Jmritter,

Although the post is 10 years old, karen.J was last online in 2017 and when now be notified of your reply by email.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk