Author Topic: Wellington Union Workhouse Lookups  (Read 7915 times)

Offline mohgsy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wellington Union Workhouse Lookups
« on: Wednesday 23 September 09 20:33 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find as much information as I can on my GGG Grandmother Harriet Mapledoram b 1822 Culmstock (father John Mapledoram)
She had two children Cecila Jane North MAPLEDORAM (b1854) and Mary Ann MAPLEDORAM (b1857) neither of which have a fathers name on the birth certificate.
At the time of Mary's birth Harriet was in the Wellington Union Workhouse.  I am looking for any information on any census 1861 onwards and her death.
Hope some one can help!
Regards
Michelle

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Wellington Union Workhouse Lookups
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

In 1861 Cecila and her sister were with their grandparents in Culmstock

John Mapledoram 65 ag labourer b Culmstock
Sarah 68  b Uffculme
image is Selia J Mapledoram 8 b Culmstock g/dtr
Mary A   4 b Culmstock  g/dtr
Mary Cape 50 boarder widow b Uffculme
RG9 Piece 1612 Folio 7 Page 7
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline somersetlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 September 09 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle

In 1871 Ceclia Mappeldoram  17 b abt 1854 Culmstock is at Upwey, Dorset as a visitor, occupation serv. domestic -

Elizabeth Sydenham head widow 36 laundress b Culmstock
3 children: Susan 9 b Hemyock; Sarah 4 b Upwey; Samuel 3 b Weymouth
RG10 Piece 1999 Folio 14 Page 20

Also in 1871 Mary A Mappledoram 15 b abt 1856 Wellington is at Upwey, Dorset as a servant, general serv. domestic -

Albert White head 24 Cabinet Maker b Weymouth
Fanny A White wife 24 Cabinet Maker's wife b Upwey
2 children: Laurence J 2 b Upwey; Fred V 9mth b Upwey

Do you know whether their mother Harriet married at any time in her life?

SS

It simply takes      “One act of Random Kindness at a time”      to change the world

Research areas:
mainly Devon and Somerset
but also South Wales, Sussex, Sheffield, Northern Ireland, Fifeshire

Names:
Marshall & Goldsworthy; Bass & Nicol; Worden & Hobbs; Noble & Haste
Woodberry & Chorley; Moon & Hart; Brice & Richards; Denham & Honeybun

Offline mohgsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 September 09 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW and SS
Thank you for your bits of info however I have these already but I appreciate your research for me.

SS - Harriet wasn't married as far as I am aware - on both the birth certificates she is down as Harriet Mappledoram (which is her maiden name) and there is no father on either of them and I cant seem to find a marriage.  On Mary Ann's bc they are both down as being in Wellington Union Workhouse.

What I find strange is that one Cecilia's BC she is Cecilia Jane North MAPLEDORAM - I am not sure where the North comes from as a middle name!

Any other info that you have would be great

Thank you again
Regards
Michelle

Offline somersetlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 September 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle

I too have a g/g grandmother that was born in Union Workhouse Wellington (June 1856) and again no father named on birth certificate.  I wonder if our relatives ever crossed paths at any time in their lives?  A little snippet of info about the workhouse - the allowance of food was claimed to be lower than in any other workhouse in England, only 6 oz of meat each week, and the design of the building more like that of a Baronial German palace!  It was one of the first of its kind in the county to be completed in 1837.

I have noticed in the 1851, 1871 & 1881 census' an inmate called Anne/Annie/Anne Mapledaron/Mapleddram/Mapledoram born Culmstock abt 1827/1817/1805 pauper/idiot (such a variation in names/dob though).  I wonder whether she was related to your Harriet?  She's not listed in 1861 though.

Harriet does appear to be elusive otherwise.  I assume you have discounted the Harriet Mapledoram who died 1899 Honiton area?

SS
It simply takes      “One act of Random Kindness at a time”      to change the world

Research areas:
mainly Devon and Somerset
but also South Wales, Sussex, Sheffield, Northern Ireland, Fifeshire

Names:
Marshall & Goldsworthy; Bass & Nicol; Worden & Hobbs; Noble & Haste
Woodberry & Chorley; Moon & Hart; Brice & Richards; Denham & Honeybun

Offline mohgsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 September 09 17:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks SS

That info was good - I wonder why they didn't have fathers names on the bc? very strange!
Annie was more than likely a relative infact I think that she may be an Aunt - i am intrigued to find out what happened to Harriet thou - the one that died in 1999 in from another family

Thank you for you help
Kind Regards
Michelle

Offline galengirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 January 10 11:36 GMT (UK) »
i too have an interest in the mappeldorams but i am following elizabeth who married john sydenham.  i would appreciate any information about her - i knew about her being in upwey in 1871 with samuel (my great grandfather) but have lost track of her after that (and samuel disappears in 1881 and reappears in 1891)

If Cecilia had North as part of her name - the custom was to give a child a surname of a female relative (such as mother) to keep the name in the family.  This is why my father was Conrad Sydenham G.... (after Hilda - Sam's daughter).   Maybe John's wife Sarah was Sarah North?

In other branches of my family tree I have Harriets known as Anne and Annes known as Harriet!!!!!!

Offline mohgsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 January 10 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hey there Galengirl

Elizabeth SYDENHAM (Mapledoram) was the aunt of my ggg grandmother Cecila Jane North Mapledoram - who is the 1871 census with her.  Below is all I have on Elizabeth I am afraid.  As you are researching the SYDENHAM family have you been on GenesReunited there is a kevin SYDENHAM on  there that has researched the name back to 1170!!

ELIZABETH MAPLEDORAM was born Abt. 1835 in Culmstock, Devon.  She married JOHN SYDENHAM.  He was born Abt. 1835 in Devon?? Weymouth??, and died 1867 in WEYMOUTH Dorset England.

Children of ELIZABETH MAPLEDORAM and JOHN SYDENHAM are:
   i.   SUSAN SYDENHAM, b. Abt. 1862, Upwey, Weymouth, Dorset.

Notes for SUSAN SYDENHAM:
1871 Census living in Upwey, Weymouth, Dorset
1881 Census living in Jordon House, Weymouth as a Domestic Servant for James F BROWN and family

ii.   SARAH SYDENHAM, b. Abt. 1867, Upwey, Weymouth, Dorset.

Notes for SARAH SYDENHAM:
1881 Census living in Hope Quay, Weymouth as a Domestic Servant for Robert Ayles Family

iii.   SAMUEL SYDENHAM, b. Abt. 1868, Upwey, Weymouth, Dorset.

Notes for SAMUEL SYDENHAM:

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 January 10 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michelle

Have you already discounted the Harriet MAPPLEDORAM born Culmstock visiting in Kensington 1861?  It's not unusual to drop a few years off age to obtain employment.  ;)  See RG09 piece 18 folio 136 page 53

There is also a possible 'mature' marriage  2Q 1870:
BAKER  Daniel / MAPPELDORAM  Harriet   Weymouth  5a 604
and their child regd 2Q 1874 BAKER  Lilly Kate B H     Dorchester  5a 349.  See 1881 Census for them:  RG11 piece 2112  folio 40 page 13

Last, but not least, the use of an additional surname in registering a birth was not unusual in the case of an illegitimate child.  Should the parents subsequently marry, it was a simple matter to drop the mother's surname in favour of the father's.     
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk