Author Topic: Wellington Union Workhouse Lookups  (Read 7916 times)

Offline mohgsy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wellington Union Workhouse Lookups
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 January 10 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Dee-jay
Thank you for all that I will have a look through now as I haven't seen any of that. I see that you have given me the reference numbers ie See RG09 piece 18 folio 136 page 53  to check these can you go this on the internet easily??  I have found the marriage on Freebmd but was just wandering about the census?

Thank you for your help
Regards
Michelle

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 January 10 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - I don't have an Ancestry subscription but the reference for 1861 should enable SKS on here to find the schedule for you.

For 1881 if you try the free FamilySearch website http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
and enter Lilly's name and year of birth 1874, hit the search button and, at No 20 in the 1881 Census list for the UK, you will find her listed.  Click on her name to obtain her details and then top right to get details of the household. 
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mohgsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 January 10 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dee-Jay - I have Ancestry and have just been checking it all out now and I think that you have hit the nail on the head there!  I think when Harriet had her first two children she was in the workhouse so that is probably why she left them with her parents and went off to search for work.

I also re-checked the 1841 census for Harriet and although she is down as being 19 the quality of the copy is poor and it could easily be 12 which would make her born in 1829 nearer to the age in Knsington

Thank you very much for you help!! Something I have been trying to find for months!!

Regards
michelle

Offline wwilliams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 October 11 19:29 BST (UK) »
I believe my great grandfather and his siblings were in this workhouse in 1901

Harriet Williams 10 yrs
Harry Williams 7 yrs
Sarah Williams 3 yrs
William Williams 4 yrs

Any advice how  I get more information? i would like to know who the parents to these sibling are so I can confirm i have the correct people.

any help would be appreciated

Offline somersetlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 15:58 BST (UK) »
I can't see your four Williams siblings listed in the 1901 Census at the workhouse.  How do you come to believe they were there?

This site gives you more info on the workhouse: www.workhouses.org.uk/Wellington

You may have to visit the Somerset Heritage Centre and view the inmate records there.

SS

Just had a thought and I have now found them listed in the Wellington, Shropshire Union Workhouse instead!
So suggest you post in that county next & disregard what I have suggested above!
It simply takes      “One act of Random Kindness at a time”      to change the world

Research areas:
mainly Devon and Somerset
but also South Wales, Sussex, Sheffield, Northern Ireland, Fifeshire

Names:
Marshall & Goldsworthy; Bass & Nicol; Worden & Hobbs; Noble & Haste
Woodberry & Chorley; Moon & Hart; Brice & Richards; Denham & Honeybun

Offline fonso

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 June 12 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

Found this in a book called Blackmore Country by FJ Snell talking about Culmstock men who fought at Waterloo. Thought it might be of interest.

rough list of the Culmstock warriors comprises the following names : —

Major Octavius Temple, (father of the late Arch bishop). 
Richard Fry.
Abram Lake.
William Gillard.
Dr Ayshford.
John Jordan.
Sergt. J. Mapledorham.
Thomas Andrews. Sergt.
W. Doble.
John Nethercott.
Sergt. Gregory.
John Tapscott.
William Berry.
"Urchard " Penny.
William Sheers.
James Mapledorham, jun.
Robert Wood.
Betty Milton.
Thomas Scadding.
Betsy Mapledorham.

Mapledorham, was too much of a mouthful for Culmstock people, so they consulted their own convenience by calling the couple Maldrom. The excellent sergeant already possessed a long record of service when summoned to the final test of Waterloo, and in several campaigns he had been accompanied by his faithful Betsy.....

Andy D