Author Topic: LOWER WALMER, KENT  (Read 14294 times)

Offline Aussieterry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LOWER WALMER, KENT
« on: Thursday 24 September 09 10:18 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was Elizabeth Ann Claringbold and she was born in 1839 at South Rope Walk, Lower Walmer, Kent. The Claringbold family were fairly well represented in this part of Kent and I would love to start some kind of forum which will uncover some of the history of the Mariners of Kent. The trouble is that it is very difficult to find a "street map" of old Walmer. By way of the 1841 to 1891 Census's I have walked the streets but I still can't find a map. My family tree is extensive and I am well and truly aware of all my Claringbold ancestors. What I really want to know is who else is involved in my family history that is not a Claringbold.

Some of the family names associated with our Claringbolds are BRUNGER, JONES, POIL (or POILE), NORRIS, LONG, BROWN, NIGHTINGALE, HOILE, SCOTT, FODEN, HATHAWAY, BLANCHARD, GREEN, and PEERLESS. What I'm really trying to do is organise a history of Walmer which makes a story of Mariners and Fishermen from a bygone age.

Terry Allen emal address removed in accordance with Rootschat policy - please use the secure personal message system here on Rootschat to exchange personal email addresses thankyou
Anyone interested?

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LOWER WALMER, KENT
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 September 09 10:33 BST (UK) »
you could contact the Kent Record Office they should hold the tithe maps and the early ordance survey maps for the area you are after.

Tithe maps 1836-1850 odd and Ordance Surveys began circa 1850

http://www.ancestor-search.info/CRO-Kent.htm
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 September 09 10:36 BST (UK) »
the Kent RO may also have records of mariners and fisherman but not directly i dont think offical records were kept.

However Seamans records are held at the Maritinme Museum in Greenwich if you know the ships name and date it might be easier to see if they have records there or not (and of course your ancestors name)

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/visit/
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 October 09 05:05 BST (UK) »
Deal library has the 1st series OS maps, some of which are very large scale, showing not only streets but also the names of pubs and other prominent buildings.  However, these maps are from around the 1870s and may not be early enough for what you need.

Regards
Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Aussieterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 October 09 07:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Bill. I do have a couple of the 1870 maps but they only name main roads such as The Strand. They don't show little residential streets such as Rope Walk and Back Road. But I am trying to get Deal Library to come up with some other possibilities. I'm particularly interested in The Good Woman 'pub in Rope Walk which was next door to where my great grandmother was born.

Terry Allen

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 October 09 09:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Bill. I do have a couple of the 1870 maps but they only name main roads such as The Strand

The large scale ordnance survey should show more than that

I am trying to get Deal Library to come up with some other possibilities

Do they not have the tithe maps c1840 http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Maps/Maps%20intro.htm as mentioned by Toni above -  many kent libraries have them on microfilm ???

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JustinYardley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 February 11 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Terry,

I am interested in your progress/info re: The Good Woman Pub. I lived in 101 Gladstone Road a house built on the site in 1971 and by coincidence my GGGG Granfather James Colemen was landlord of the good woman  in 1861. Prior to this he lived in Taps Hole Walmer which was behind the ropewalk.. His son My GGG Granfather Edward Colemen was a mariner and his picture is in the Deal Maritime Museum. He was one of the last Deal Luggers!

Regards

Justin           

Email address removed by moderator.  Once a member has posted three times here on the boards at Rootschat their personal message system will be automatically activated whereby they may exchange email addresses off the boards.

Offline johnxyz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 11:24 GMT (UK) »

Offline Aussieterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 00:07 GMT (UK) »
My first reply is to thank Justin for his response. You clearly have a lot more information on the "Good Woman" 'pub than I do. All I know is what I read in an article which was about a walk around Lower Walmer. This article talked about the Good Woman pub and South Rope Walk which is where my great grandmother Elizabeth Ann Claringbold was born. By the 1841 Census they had moved to Back of Strand. My biggest problem is actually pinpointing where this is. I have a very old map but there are no street names. I don't know whether, or not, you have "taken a walk" along Rope Walk in the 1841 Census. It lists all of those early Walmer settlers who were mainly mariners and rope makers. Hopefully this Rootschat forum will publish my email address and we can explore the area further.

Terry Allen