Author Topic: LOWER WALMER, KENT  (Read 14292 times)

Offline Aussieterry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LOWER WALMER, KENT
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 00:09 GMT (UK) »
I'd also like to thank johnxyz for his contribution. Nice to put some tarmac onto an old street name!

Terry Allen

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 February 11 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Justin, you mention the Deal maritime museum which, when I was there last summer had closed.
Is that still the case , do you have news of this museum?

I too have family from Walmer but far more from Deal, and no Claringboulds

Lis
Bailey, Stickells,  Marshall,  Hope, Morris, Wratten, Hope,  Knowler, Lonkhurst,  Gower,  Ratcliffe, Newport,  Boulden,  Stokes,  Beverley, Law, Lushington,  Parham,  Thorpe,  Piddleden,  Swaffer, Wide, Wood,  Austen, Eastes,  Hulke,  Banes, Hadley, Denne, Mullet, Dove, Mackney,all in Kent

Offline johnxyz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 February 11 21:36 GMT (UK) »
This is one for the strange coincidences folder. I thought I'd seen "Back of the Strand" before, so went back to my census data. The image that has the Claringbolds on it ( assuming there's only one family) has on the opposite page my wife's ggg grandfather, James Ford and his family.

John

Offline Aussieterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 February 11 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Well John, it is indeed a coincidence. There were, in fact, five Claringbold families living in Lower Walmer during the 1841 Census. John Claringbold on that page is my gg grandfather Edward's brother. The Claringbolds inter married with several family names in the 1841 Census including the Redmans and the Nightingales on that page as well. They were all mariners, fishermen or ropemakers. I'd love to communicate with anyone else who is interested in families living in the Lower Walmer area, which was immediately south of Deal Castle.

Terry Allen

Offline Aussieterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 February 11 05:01 GMT (UK) »
And here's another coincidence John. The Sarah Redman that lived next door to your James Ford was my ggg grandmother's sister. She was Sarah Nightingale when she married John Redman in 1812 at Deal.

Terry Allen

Offline Aussieterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 February 11 05:17 GMT (UK) »
I should also mention that I have a complete set of Baptism, Marriages and Deaths on microfiche for Walmer 1561 - 1921 and a set of Baptisms and Marriages for St Leonards Parish Church Deal for 1559 - 1837. If anyone needs any help for Deal and Walmer please let me know. Terry Allen

Offline johnxyz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 February 11 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid the Fords only moved to Walmer shortly before the 1841 census. The last 2 children were born in Great Chart near Ashford in 1839.

The youngest son Frederick did later marry into a local family - Eliza Sage, married 1860 in Walmer. Her parents were James Iggulden Sage and Fanny Spain, who married at Deal 1831. Fanny is proving a mystery. She appears from census data to be born around 1806, but as far as I can tell the Walmer parish register for that era is missing. I have not yet had the opportunity to check if any other baptism records survive.

John

Offline Aussieterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 February 11 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Well John, I have the parish records for Baptisms at St Marys Church, Walmer on microfiche and I see that Fanny was born on 26 March and Baptised at St Marys on 26 April, 1806. Her parents were William and Mary. I also have Frederick Ford, son of James Ford, marrying Eliza Sage, daughter of James Sage, on 11 July 1860. That might ease the pain for you!

Offline johnxyz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 February 11 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Indeed it does - many thanks

John