Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Talbot Inn, 28 Brunswick St, West Hartlepool - 1891 - Still there?  (Read 3846 times)

Offline jeffery1_6

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if the Talbot Inn, 28 Brunswick St, West Hartlepool still exists please?

Also, would you happen to know which brewery would have owned the Inn at this time?

Did the term Inn mean it provided lodgings or was it just another term for pub in 1891?

My ancestor Isaac Evans was the Inn Keeper at the Talbot Inn at this time and any information which anyone may be able to provide would be much appreciated.

Thank you.........

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Talbot Inn, 28 Brunswick St, West Hartlepool - 1891 - Still there?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 September 09 12:02 BST (UK) »
An Inn was properly a public house kept for the lodging of travellers, or of any who wish to use its accommodation, in other words a hostelry or hotel. But the name was often applied, erroneously, to a tavern which did not provide lodging. If it had provided lodgings then they would appear in the census.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 September 09 12:21 BST (UK) »
Brunswick Street is still there but the whole area has been re-developed, and is the Hartlepool College of Further Education
If you go to http://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/interMAP/viewer.htm and enter the post code TS247NT in search, it will centre the map on the location.
You can also go to http://www.multimap.com/s/R1Y5W7PR
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jeffery1_6

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 September 09 12:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Stan..........shame it's still not there anymore, but that's progress!  :)