Author Topic: farr family  (Read 25040 times)

Offline larzus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: farr family
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 26 May 12 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I have been following your posts with interest.  I have a very elusive convict ancestor named Robert Lockley.  I am in Australia.  Robert was born in Tamworth England in 1825 but his family lived in Birmingham.  He had family mother Eliza and brothers John (previously transported) b 1823, Thomas and David b 1828 still in Birmingham and brother William a common soldier in the 65th Regiment.  I don't know the birthdate of William or Thomas.  I have found Eliza with David on the UK 1841 census and there is no father in the household.

I have never found a trace of this William Lockley of the 65th Regiment, I though maybe he'd died.  He did not come to Australia and he is not in England anywhere. 

Is it at all possible that your William Lockley is my missing William Lockley?

Irene  in Australia
O'Keefe Clare Ireland, Briers Leicestershire, Brown Fordham Cambridgeshire, McKinley Fermanagh, Cox from Windsor, Berkshire, Dunstall Sussex, Morey Dorset, Peard Fermoy, Dillane Limerick, Lockley Staffordshire, Cowen Birmingham, Bone Kent and many many more.

Offline Jillian Bellringer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 26 May 12 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi larzus

Yes I think our William's are one and the same.  The facts are very close not to be.  That's great!! How did you know your William was in the 65th regiment?  I have look at the 1841 census and there is another John listed on it with Eliza and David - John born 1826?  My William was with the 65th Regiment but unable to find on which ship he came to NZ on, it would have to been before 1852 as that is when he married Elizabeth Connell in Wellington.  I think he was stationed in Wellington for awhile before leaving the army and moving to Nelson where she came from as my g-g-greatfather Henry was born there.  They moved to Cambridge, Waikato where more children were born - joined up with the 3rd Waikato Regiment and was a sawyer after that.  His death is noted in the Papers Past - Northern Acvocate dated 7 June 1890 that will help you prove that.
I saw John listed under the convict site but not Robert ( is his last name spelt diff)?
Are we able to talk more through email instead?

Kind Regards

Jillian

Offline larzus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 27 May 12 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Robert's convict record gives his brother William as being in the 65th Regiment.  No, the spelling is not different.  He can be found either at the Founders and Survivors site foundersandsurvivors.org/pubsearch (search Robert Lockley) or through the Tasmanian archives portal.  John Lockley arrived 28 Nov 1842 on the Moffatt (3rd journey) and Robert arrived 26 Dec 1844 on the Sir Robert Peel.

John's record also states a sister Elizabeth.

The 1841 census was taken just two months before John committed his crime.  I am guessing the census rounding effect has altered the year of his birth.  I have not found any record of his marrying in Tasmania, though he died in Tassie in the 1870s so perhaps he fathered some unidentified children?  The Lockleys were somewhat prolific, seems odd that he doesn't have a whole brood.

Robert married Catherine Hingely a mystery woman whom noone has managed to locate records for.  They had 13 children, most of whom lived to have their own 10-15 children. 

I don't know where Robert was at census time, there are a couple of options.  Also a few options for mother Eliza in the 1851 census which gives birthplace, very frustrating. I was hoping William's attestation papers might clear the matter up.  Do they exist?

My email address is*  I am happy to be contacted that way. 

Irene
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

To send a Personal Message just click on the small green scroll to the left of the post of the person you wish to contact
O'Keefe Clare Ireland, Briers Leicestershire, Brown Fordham Cambridgeshire, McKinley Fermanagh, Cox from Windsor, Berkshire, Dunstall Sussex, Morey Dorset, Peard Fermoy, Dillane Limerick, Lockley Staffordshire, Cowen Birmingham, Bone Kent and many many more.

Offline rickvdb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 09 August 12 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillian
I have just worked out the connection today with Elizabeth Connell and William Lockley and see you have come to the same conclusions.
I'm coming in on this forum on the CONNELL side of the tree with connections with the LEGGETT's in NZ and Aust.

The tree I am working on for a friend makes Elizabeth CONNELL nee Lockley his GG Aunt.
All of my tree I have been working on is under LEGGETT Family Tree on Ancestry.com.au

'Basil' is a common christian name on all sides of the tree.

Haven't worked out yet where Basil CONNELL her father died or is buried. Her Mother is Mary WOOD and I think she died in 1860
Motueka, Nelson, New Zealand
Cemetery:Pioneer Motueka (Closed) Aged 49 YRS http://www.tasman.govt.nz/services/cemeteries/cemetery-records-search/?uid=17573

Regards Rick

Offline Jillian Bellringer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 01 September 12 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Rick

Yes she died 26th August 1860 at Motueka, and he died at Nelson 17th March 1851 aged 39 years (Basil Connel) got these from Papers Past site. 

Don't know where he is buried?

Kind Regards

Jillian

Offline temiro tawa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 07 October 12 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, been reading along this thread for a while now and frantically getting down all the juicy info :P. I think it's about time I showed myself. Jillian, you would be my 3rd cousin 1Xremoved,  and I am no doubt related to Bona & Tilli and most of you along the line. My great grandmother was Caroline Emily Lockley, daughter of William & Elizabeth. She married Joseph Mcmillan in Auckland in 1888.  My grandmother was Louise Caroline McMillan, ( 1899-1991 ) who is buried at Hautapu cemetary in Cambridge. If any of you wish to swap information please send me a private e-mail. I would love to get as much info as you have Jillian and
the rest of you who are willing to write. Any Questions for me.... Fire away

Offline temiro tawa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 07 October 12 03:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Irene,   Not sure where I gathered this info now, a few years ago, not sure how correct it is,   but I have these children to a John Joseph Lockley ( 1770 -  ) and Alice Forshaw , 1776 Litherland, Liverpool - Died Mar 1876 in West Derby , Liverpool .
    Margaret Lockley 1809 –
    George Lockley 1810 –
    Mary Lockley 1812 –
    Elizabeth Lockley 1814 –
    John Lockley 1816 –
    Edmund Lockley 1819 – 1868
    Robert Lockley 1825 – 1873
Then I have John Joseph with a 2nd spouse.  an Elizabeth Kirk ( b 1771 - ) from London, and from this union , William  born 1817 in Birmingham, West Midlands, England .  Need to see the birth cert of William or William's dad John.  I have 2 death dates for John.  .....1926 at the age of 56, the other option is ...unknown . but the 1851 census shows Alice and John , both aged 66, and no children with them at the time.  I have limited resources to view records at this time.  Seems that I'm not sure of the true John. Jillian, can you help here with William's birth cert?

Offline Jayemal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 28 October 12 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Re: Bona Grattan

Hello, Is it possible that the Bona Grattan in your family tree is the same Bona Grattan who was accidentally killed in 1892 and is buried at Alfriston, New Zealand?  Thank you.

Offline katmon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 28 October 12 07:52 GMT (UK) »
hi Jayemal
Sounds like it is the same person
  Our Bona was thrown from her horse while riding  home from church at Papakura in the company of her daughter and a friend, the horse shied then bolted she died of brain damage on 30th march 1891  regards Katmon