Author Topic: adams and mates  (Read 7397 times)

Offline gina45

• RootsChat Member
  • Catherine Leahy and Francis Meates
    • View Profile
adams and mates
« on: Friday 25 September 09 23:14 BST (UK) »
my great grand mother elizabeth adams married my great grand father francis mates in barniskey chuch on 13th oct 1881.. her father on the birth cert is michael mates (dead) Farmer and francis mates father was michael mates (alive) labourer.. the priest that married them was fr dumphy .. it was rathdrum district.. does any one have any information about any of these people... any help please would be appreicated... thank you
brennan o reilly leahy regan moore howlin meates/mates penston, toole, crowley adams

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: adams and mates
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 September 09 23:20 BST (UK) »
my great grand mother elizabeth adams married my great grand father francis mates in barniskey chuch on 13th oct 1881.. her father on the birth cert is michael mates (dead) Farmer and francis mates father was michael mates (alive) labourer.. the priest that married them was fr dumphy .. it was rathdrum district.. does any one have any information about any of these people... any help please would be appreicated... thank you

Name of Elizabeth Adams' father?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gina45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 September 09 12:48 BST (UK) »
on the marriage cert it says michael adams (dead) was her father and that he was a farmer.. sorry
brennan o reilly leahy regan moore howlin meates/mates penston, toole, crowley adams

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 October 09 07:41 BST (UK) »
For what it is worth, from 'The Wicklow War Dead';MATES, JOHN. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Unit; 1st Bn. Date of Death: 07-August-1915. Age at Death; 22. Service No: 19580. Born in Ballindarrig, Co Wicklow. Enlisted in Bray. Died of wounds. Killed in Action in Gallipoli. Supplementary information; Son of John and Annie Mates, of Castletimon, Co. Wicklow. Grave or Memorial Reference: He has no known grave but is listed on Panel 190 to 196 on the Helles Memorial in Turkey.
Image Poster 14

MATES, PATRICK. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.
Unit; 8th Bn. He was previously with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers where his number was 19264. Date of Death: 15-July-1916. Age at Death; 26. Service No: 25218. Born in Barndarrig, Co Wicklow. Enlisted in Dublin while living in Wexford. Killed in Action.
Supplementary information; Son of John and Annie Mates, of Barndarrig, Wicklow.
Grave or Memorial Reference: VII. H. 2. Cemetery: Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez in France.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 October 09 07:42 BST (UK) »
And;
ADAMS, JOHN EDGAR. Rank: Lieutenant. Regiment or Service: Royal Artillery
Unit; 6 H. A. A. Regt. Age at Death; 32. Date of Death: 01-March-1942. Service No: 151925. Supplementary information; Son of Frank E. Adams and Sarah Anna May Lee Adams; husband of Kathleen Ruth De Quincey Adams, of Newcastle, Co. Wicklow, Irish Republic. Born in Surrey and lived in Surrey. Grave or Memorial Reference: 6. A. 2. Cemetery: Jakarta War Cemetery. Indonesia.

Offline gina45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 August 10 12:26 BST (UK) »
i know my grandfather francis only had one brother and one sister and his brother died in 1916 and he himself died in 1918 so the people you mentioned may be relations but their names are not familiar to me..

Offline gina45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 August 10 12:30 BST (UK) »
the names i have are fredrick mates... francis mates... eliza adams.. michael adams.. richard mates.. but francis and richard died  when they were in their twenties... and francis and eliza after marrying moved to killinskeyduff in arklow ... i cant find either where fredick mates the father is buried although i have checked records and graveyards.. i know where his wife eliza and sons are buried... so there is a lot of holes i cant seem to fill ....some spellings on the certs are mates and sometimes meates... both families seemed have lived in tigroney before they moved to arklow.. michael adams was a farmer out there and michael mates a labourer.... but no mention of the mothers at all...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 August 10 12:42 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!