Author Topic: The Spurrit Family of Woodstock  (Read 18290 times)

Offline Rob Spurrett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Spurrit Family of Woodstock
« Reply #36 on: Friday 03 January 14 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi - yes - I recall that one as well.  If I remember correctly, it was also slightly too early (~1780) as well as not being a Robert.  It will remain a mystery to be solved in 2014!

Offline June Middleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 07 February 16 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, Not sure if any one will get to read this as it has been over 12mnths since any activiity on this site.   i have just been reading all  your posts, very interesting.  My GGGGgrand father was William Spurritt/Spurrett, GGGgrandfather Robert Spirit (Spurrett) , GGgrandmother Elizabeth Spirit, Ggrandfather John Middleton, Grandfather James (Jim) Middleton, my Dad Richard Spirit Middleton.  Elizabeth gave one of her sons the name of Richard Spirit Middleton who died in his 30 (hit by a train in the coal mines in Australia)  my dad was named after him, however, the name Spirit has not continued down our line.

cheers
June

Offline Rob Spurrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 07 February 16 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi June - I did just read this and I'm very interested.  I'm tied up at the moment but let me digest what you've written and i'll get back to you shortly (but it maybe tomorrow).  Rob Spurrett

Offline Rob Spurrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 07 February 16 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Please can you give me a date (b. or d.) on the GGGrand Elizabeth or GGGgrand Robert so I can work out which one they are on my tree and where you fit?  I'm guessing these are the Hexham connection?

Offline June Middleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 08 February 16 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob, thank you for replying, i got a lovely surprise seeing your note. okay here's my dates

William Spurrier(spurrett) 1760 - 1810, I notice that William and his father Robert died same time 16 January 1810, do you know how or what happened?

his son Robert Spirit (Spurrett) 1780 Wootton Oxfordshire - 1853 Gilligate, Hexham Northumberand, married Susannah unknown (several names have been banded around not yet confirmed) born 1782 Hexham, died January 1854 in the Workhouse, Hexham, (another interesting fact as some of her family were still living, but Susannah went to the workhouse!)
one of Their daughters Elizabeth Spirit 1819 born hexham i do not have her death date as yet she married John Featherstonehaugh  2/4/1837 and had six children John died 1853, then married John Middleton on 31 October 1853 John Middleton 1832 - 1891

hope this helps

cheers
June Middleton
ps: my family emigrated to Australia in 1967

hope this helps

Offline Rob Spurrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 08 February 16 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this June.  I'm working from memory as I'm travelling with work today so bear with me.  From memory, i don't think I have found deaths for William and Robert so maybe you are ahead of me there.  But some I think I can unravel some of your other questions.  I think between us we maybe able to figure this out.  I can't recall what I had put up on my Spurrett website with respect to this.  Anyway, give me a little while and I'll get back to you. 

Offline Rob Spurrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 12:45 GMT (UK) »
So let me work backwards (because we have more agreement from the later generations, no surprise):

I have Elizabeth b. 1819 marrying John Featherston 2/4/1837. I also don’t have her death but to be honest I haven’t tried as my focus is a Spurrett one-name study.

Her father Robert I have born 1783 in Wootton and died 1853 Hexham, as you say.  There are some conflicts here – some people say 1781 but I suspect he lied about his age in order to get enlisted into the Militia.

I’ve also been told Susannah as the name for his wife but I can’t find any evidence of it.  He was moving around with the militia, so his marriage could be anywhere. There are a few sources that cite Susan PARKHILL but I’ve not managed to located the evidence for that.

I am descended from a brother of this Robert, who was Richard b 1781 and who was married to Susanna(h) OSBOURNE (various spellings). Richard is my 4xGGrandfather

Now to the bit where it gets more challenging.

I now have Robert and Richard's father as another Robert, not William (which is a change from some of the earlier posts in this thread) and their mother as Mary.  I now have William b1760 as their father Robert’s brother. I know Mary was born 1759 and died 1790 aged 31. (with an outside chance that this is the wrong Mary as there is one other unlikely candidate).   I only know that Robert and Mary were travellers and I’ve searched over the circuit I think they travelled.

I do have William’s father (and Robert’s father), bur. 16 Jan 1810 aged 85, as you reported, but not a death record for William at the same time.  Where did you find William’s death on the same day?

Robert (1725-1810) = Elizabeth (1725-1806)

son William (1760 -    ) = Jane TURNER (likely but not 100% certain)

son Robert (c.1760 - ) = Mary (1759-1790)

son Richard (1781-1832) = Susannah OSBOURNE (c.1780-1851)
                        (my 4xG grandfather)

son Robert ‘Militia’ (1783-1853) = Susannah???

your Elizabeth = John FEATHERSTONHAUGH

Offline June Middleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 18 February 16 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Rob, i didn't realise you had replied, i usually get an email alerting me, not to worry,  I will now go and digest your comments and get back to you asap.

cheers
June

Offline Rob Spurrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 02 April 16 12:31 BST (UK) »
How is it going June?  Did you have any thoughts on the question I asked:

I do have William’s father (and Robert’s father), bur. 16 Jan 1810 aged 85, as you reported, but not a death record for William at the same time.  Where did you find William’s death on the same day?