Author Topic: BRYANT Family - Southcroft Road, Streatham 1869  (Read 2876 times)

Offline KathrynBryant1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BRYANT Family - Southcroft Road, Streatham 1869
« on: Saturday 26 September 09 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have today received a death cert for my grandfather, George Richard Bryant.  He died in St Benedict's Hospital in June 1969.  At the time of his death he was living at 283 Southcroft Road, Streatham.  He was aged 80.  The informant of his death was an Edith Bryant (I did not know that this lady existed until today).  I should imagine Edith would have been of similar age to Grandad.  I know nothing else about Edith.  Am eager to find out when they could have possibly married and also if there were children of that marriage.  Am stumped as I do not have funds to purchase any credits.  I know that Granddad was in Ireland until around 1924.  I believe he then came to England and know for sure he didn't marry this lady in Ireland.  Have no idea also when they moved to the Streatham address.  Does anyone out there please have any ideas or would be able to have a search for me.  Any help would be much appreciated.  I have tried looking on FBMB.

Kind Regards

Kathryn Bryant

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: GEORGE + EDITH BRYANT OF 283 SOUTHCROFT ROAD, STREATHAM IN 1969
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 September 09 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does the death certificate actually say that Edith was his wife?

Rosie

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathrynBryant1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: George & Edity BRYANT - 283 Southcroft Road, Streatham 1969
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 September 09 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie, it states "widow of the deceased".

Regards

Kathryn

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: BRYANT FAMILY FROM SOUTHCROFT ROAD, STREATHAM IN 1969
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 September 09 18:40 BST (UK) »
i take it that his first wife was your Grandmother?
when she died was she with your Grandfather? ie had they split up,
do none of the family remember him being with Edith?, maybe they were not married,
would help with some dates and what happened between your grandparents to know when to search,
i take it from your statement whether he had children to this marriage that must have split up many years before?

Offline KathrynBryant1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 September 09 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Les, there are no living family now that I am aware of.  I was adopted and over the past year have collated a wealth of information about my birth family and ancestors.  There are still a couple of people where my jigsaw is not complete and granddad is one of them.  Right, Granddad was born in Chatham in 1888.  I next find him in Ireland.  He marries Helena Brown(e) in Cork in 1908.  They have quite a few children, Ada, James Richard, George Ernest (who is my father), Pat, Frances and Josephine.  Josephine was born in Ireland in 1924.  It has been told to me that Granddad was in the British Army obviously based in Ireland somewhere.  Granddad from what I can see has been a mystery and has not been talked about in the family.  Now I think I can see why but hey ho.  I do not have any information as to exactly when he left Ireland or after that where he based himself if not in Streatham straight away. 

Grandma was a strict Catholic.  She died in 1965 in Cork and on her death certificate she gives Granddad as being deceased.  I believe this was done as above she was a strict Catholic and there was no divorce in Ireland I believe in those days.  I am 100% sure George Richard is my Grandfather.  I did some research and found a death for a GR Bryant in Wandsworth.  I sent off for the cert and low and behold it is Granddad giving me where he died and his address.  But the information is given as an Edith Bryant and states she is "widow of the deceased".  I have never come across this lady before.  Now I am stumped in researching, don't know where to start and as I have stated before I do not have spare funds to purchase credits etc.    Granddad was born on 7 October 1888 in Chatham, Kent.  I hope this helps Les.  Sorry but this is about all I have.  My father George Ernest Bryant who was born in Ireland died in 1961 and I have found his grave, he is buried in Brighton, East Sussex only an hour or so drive from where I live.

Kind Regards

Kathryn

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 September 09 20:21 BST (UK) »
dilemma is Kathryn he seems to have been in Ireland until at least late 1920's,
and did he marry? if so he did so while still married to your Grandmother, if he abandonder her and the children, probably why they never spoke about him, i think all we can do is try and find a marriage after 1924, is that when the last child was born?
It is possible because he came back to England he thought he was safe to marry, but as above he may not have bothered ::)

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 September 09 20:45 BST (UK) »
have a possible for you but without buying the certificate ???

RootsChat policy is not to publish details of living people, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
If you have any information please use the Personal Message (PM) system to exchange personal data.

SORRY ignore this, i just realised Ada was one of the children, have been searching the wrong christian name ::)

some info you may have already, your Gt Grandmother i assume was Ada Amanda Bryant?
if so she seems to be living on her own in the 1911 census in Medway Kent
another reason why i was getting Ada mixed up :-[

Offline KathrynBryant1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 September 09 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, Les, yes the last child Josephine was born in Ireland in 1924.  I just have a feeling that maybe granddad and Edith weren't actually married but that she just used his surname.  Hope I'm wrong though.  Apart from you searching when you have time (for which I am grateful), is there anyway I could possibly check on the address they lived at in 1969 and a little earlier for names.  Not sure how to go about this, was there an electoral roll in those days?  Am afraid I'm not too clever in knowing which way to go or who to contact.  Granddad's parents were James John Bryant and Ada Amand Bryant nee Pankhurst.  Oh I just wish there was a relative still alive that could throw some light on all this.  I do love a mystery but also like to get it solved but I just have a feeling about this one that I'm not going to get anywhere.  The burial records are held at Putney Vale Cemetery but to get them to search costs £47 which I think is horrendous or I would have to make a trip.  Perhaps if Grandad was buried and there is a headstone it might reveal a little more.  Not sure I will ever get there, perhaps if I win the lottery tonight, and perhaps pigs might fly.

Sorry, to go on and on.  I just hate hitting my head against a brick wall so to speak.    Once again Les thanks for your time and kindness.

Regards

Kathryn

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: BRYANT Family - Southcroft Road, Streatham 1869
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 September 09 01:03 BST (UK) »
Kathryn might be an idea for you to post a look up in the Graveyards and Gravestones part of this forum,
you never know someone may live close by who would be kind enough to pay a visit,
have you rung Putney Vale Cemetery? because if its on computer it should only take a few minutes for them to tell you plot etc, some pretty famous people in there, Jon Pewtree, James Hunt, Arthur Askey to name just a few, re costs i assume you have rung as have just found this

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/info/200032/deaths_funerals_and_cremations/86/cemeteries_and_crematorium/10

this site is supposedly has a lot of graves from there BUT at the moment is down, so maybe worth saving the link and then keep checking as they have a forum when its up and running, another thing maybe to check, maybe they had a family grave as Streatham and putney are about 5-6 miles apart, not sure if thats the closest place to be buried?

http://www.pbase.com/

the electoral roll again you would have to visit their local library :(
i know you have probably searched for her, but maybe Ediths death (as long as she stayed Bryant) and you can find it would kick start you,
have you tried google earth to see Southcroft Road, think this is the postcode you can put in street view
SW16 6NY

keep plugging away one day the slightest bit of info will sort it all ;)