Author Topic: BRYANT Family - Southcroft Road, Streatham 1869  (Read 2875 times)

Offline KathrynBryant1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BRYANT Family - Southcroft Road, Streatham 1869
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 September 09 08:50 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Les, you have been a real trooper.  Thanks once again.  I do have a picture already of the house, it is still there and I have printed it off. I also took the liberty of writing to that address to see if perhaps the people who are there now have any knowledge of the Bryant's or perhaps some of the neighbours may remember them.  I know it is a long time ago but I was 20 in 1969 so there is some hope.  At least I know I've tried.  I have now posted a message on the Graveyard and Cemeteries forum, never thought of that one, must have had a blonde moment.  The chap I spoke to at Wandsworth told me that Putney Vale is the central place for all burial records.  I had told him the granddad died in St Benedict's, Tooting but that his home address was in Streatham but as above Putney is the central records office.  It may well be that granddad was buried in or around Streatham.

I also tried that site but it is still down but will keep trying from time to time.  I might also see if anyone could go to the local library and do a search for me, I might also when I'm at work tomorrow ring the library in Streatham and see if they can help over the phone, long shot I know but once again if I don't try, then I don't know.

There are quite a few Edith Bryant's listed for deaths on Ancestry but I don't have the subs to open them to rule them out.  One day.

Once again Les thank you for all your time and help it is much appreciated.  If you have any more thoughts about this mystery at any time please let me know.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 September 09 14:15 BST (UK) »
Your deffo' doing all the right things Kathryn,
maybe when you ring the library try and find out what records they do hold,
as MIGHt be worth a visit in the future if all else fails, write down what you
think you might want to see and ask if they hold such things.

SOMEWHERE there will be other members of family maybe just vaguely interested at the
moment, could be someone connected to Edith's family that could explain the mysteries to you,
the death records with or without a subscription is not really going to help, especially as you
don't know a birth etc for her.

If George did have another family then hopefully they will be out there looking or interested,
i see your also on on Genes, so again all options being covered, one day one of those obscure hot matches
may throw up an answer, HOPEFULLY someone will be in the same boat as you, ie they know all about Edith
but nothing re George, even the electoral rolls if they lived on their own will only give you what you have now.

Did George leave a will, maybe you could look for one, IF you can find his grave then hopefully then who paid for it etc
might follow, also check the local paper for the funeral as in 60's 70's etc etc they tended to list who was at the funeral.

Maybe write or email a letter in a couple of the local papers, and hope that some relatives are still there,
even this post will hopefully show up in search engines, so anyone not sure where to start will be led here

IF he did die and was buried in Streatham Cemetery, then if it is the same area i am thinking about,
it is next door to the Jewish Cemetery and i visited there on a trip to London, and Streatham Cemetery has its own office at the Cemetery, maybe try ringing them? 020 86794164.

Offline KathrynBryant1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 September 09 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again Les, thanks once again for your time and help.  Yes I've been posting messages all over the place, you just never know.  Have just received a message from a kind lady who in a few weeks time is going to the National Archives in Kew and she has said that she will pop into Putney Vale Cemtery and look at the records for me on her way.  How kind some people are.  Am waiting for her to get back to me, have given her my email address and then I could send her a copy of the death cert which hopefully has all the details needed to be able to search the ledgers.  Am not sure what details would be held if there is a record for granddad, have you any idea Les?  I have been a little cheeky to say the least but I have written to the address in Streatham asking if they knew the Bryant family or perhaps some of their neighbours might have done.  I was 20 in 1969 so there may still be some people or families around from that time.  Some people do stay in properties for that length of time.  It's a long shot I know but as before if you don't try you won't know one way or the other.  Les, how would I go about looking for a Will please?

If I get any joy I will if it's ok with you, let you know.  How would I get a message to you say in three or four weeks time? 

Kind regards

Kathryn

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 September 09 15:01 BST (UK) »
Kathryn i don't think there is any set way that each Cemetery holds records,
some have the plot holder and next of kin etc, whether its a family plot so it's just a case of fingers crossed, others may just say who/when the burial was and if anyone else is buried there,
when you get any further info best to post back here as it may help if new information comes to light for searching, posting here will bring it back to the top and also you can check replies to posts you have posted on, also may help others who are having similar problems to you
GOOD LUCK ;)

Offline KathrynBryant1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 September 09 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Les, will do.  As you say keep fingers crossed and in my case I'm going to keep everything crossed.  You're a star.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Offline KathrynBryant1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 September 09 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi all, just to let you know I work Mon to Fri and get home around 6pm.  Any messages posted will be checked in the evening and replied to.  Thanks all for your continued support and help in my research.

Kind Regards

Kathryn