Author Topic: Waterford WW1 lookups available  (Read 73349 times)

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterford WW1 lookups available
« Reply #90 on: Friday 27 May 11 17:13 BST (UK) »

COLLINS, JAMES. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment.
Unit; 2nd Battalion. Date of Death: 26-August-1914. Service No: 8366. Born in Trinity Without, Waterford. Enlisted in Waterford while living in Charleville, County Cork. Killed in Action. Grave or Memorial Reference: II. B. 14. Cemetery: St Symphorien Military Cemetery in Belgium.

Offline nkay1985

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 24 September 11 04:28 BST (UK) »

McCARTHY, WILLIAM. Rank: Air Mechanic 3rd Class. Regiment or Service: Royal Air Force. Age at death; 44. Date of Death: 24-November-1918. Service No: 285603. Supplementary information; Husband of Bridget McCarthy, of 6, St. Lawrence Terrace, Lower Grange, Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: C. F. 15. Cemetery: Ballynaneashagh (St Otteran’s) Catholic Cemetery in County Waterford.

Hi. Tom, is it?

We buried my grandmother last week aged 97 in Ballynaneashagh and, as I'm not religious, spotted an RAF grave for the first time in my adult life.

My grandmother married James McCarthy who is also buried there and the RAF grave is the one listed above. It looks like William is my great-grandfather. I'm trying to piece it all together but I'm fairly sure that's who he is. You hardly have anymore information other than what's listed above, do you? Would I have to go to Kew to get more information? I suppose I'm specifically interested in how he died seeing as it's right at the end of the war. Does him having a grave like this mean that he died in service, yeah?

I had always heard that my grandmother's father also died in the first world war. She was born in 1913. I got my hands on her marriage cert this evening and her father is listed as John Hearne whose profession was "soldier". The story I was told was that he died in the war and wasn't found but don't know how true that is. Would you have any information on this man by any chance?

It's great work you've done by the way. Fair play to you.

Offline Pastseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday 11 November 11 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I was hoping you could look up the following for me;

2025D James Flynn, DOB 24/10/1875, Rank Seaman, From Carballymore, Killed in Action on HMS Goliath, 13/05/1915.

Any additional information you can give me would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

Offline Katscan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 19 November 11 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I would like to know how I can find out more about John Scanlon from Lismore who was a private in the Royal Garrison Artillery in 1901

Offline Paul Peter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 12 January 12 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom

thanks for that. Some of that information came from the CWGC and is incorrect. William was not married, Kate was his mother, Kate Hogan (nee Kirwan) but to get it corrected I need her birth and marriage certificate and his birth certificate and haven't got them yet . You are welcome to use the photo if you like, the other people in the photo are my grandmother who is the oldest girl, his other sister Bridget and their aunt Hannah Kirwan who reared them as their mother died in childbirth when William was 2.

Can you let me know where you want the photo sent ? and would you like the photos of the cemetery and headstone.

regards

Paul

Hi Tom

Got the book last year and its great well done - I have also managed to get William Hogan's   headstone corrected to say 1916 instead of 1917 and the details on the CWGC have also been corrected to show Kate as his mother and not wife. It is nice to have these details correct for future generations and to show he is not forgotten

Paul
Family Names
Butler of  Dungarvan
Donoghue or O'Donoghue or Donohoe of Abbeyside
Hufsham, Hursum or Horsom of Dungarvan
Whelan of Abbeyside Dungarvan
Flynn of Dungarvan
Drohan of Carrick on Suir or Clonmel
Daniel of Carrick on Suir
Kirwin of Kilrossanty Waterford
Hogan of Kilmacthomas Waterford

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 21:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry for not answering ye but this site did not tell me there were replies, anyhow here we go.
Hearne, the only John Hearne I have in the databases are;
HEARNE, JOHN. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment.
Unit; 2nd Battalion. Date of Death: 28-June-1916. Service No: 7549.
Born in St. John’s, Waterford. Enlisted in Waterford. Died. He is buried beside Tipperaryman Lance Corporal Denis Jordan who was killed in action on the same day and in the same Battalion. Grave or Memorial Reference: II. B. 1. Cemetery: Citadel New Military Cemetery, Fricourt in France.
HEARNE, JOHN. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment.
Unit; 1st Battalion. Date of Death: 25-April-1915. Service No: 6464. Born in Trinity Without, Waterford. Enlisted in Waterford. Died of Wounds.
Waterford News. May, 1915.
Death of a Waterford Soldier.
Pathetic Letter from a Belgian Priest.
Watou, near Poperinghe.
 Belgium, 26th, April, 1915.
 Dear Sir, Madam—No man had a sadder task than I have, and that to write to the mother and father to say that their beloved son had given his life for his country.
 I desire you to accept my deepest sympathy in the great bereavement caused by the death of your beloved son; 6464 Hearne, Royal Irish Regiment.
 I know it will give you great consolation to hear that your loving son died in the “Grace of the Lord” and received the last Sacraments before leaving this world of sorrows.
 On Sunday afternoon, 25th April, at 3 o’clock, I found your dead son wounded at the chest in the Field Ambulance of Poperinghe. He was quite conscious and asked me to make his Confession, which he was able to do. He received also the Holy Sacrament of Extreme Unction. Then he asked me to write to his dear mother and father, what I promised him to do. I left the room for paying a visit to the next one. At a sudden, your dear son was dying. The orderly called me in. I just came in time to receive his last words; God, Ireland, Father Mother…. ”He died in my hands, and in your name I closed the eyes of your dear son. It was 3. 45 P. M.
 Your beloved son had a happy death, dying with the grace of the Lord in his soul, and doing his duty in the service of his country; and though your grief in you bereavement is great, what a consolation to feel your beloved son is now in Heaven
 On Monday afternoon, 2 o’clock, his body was carried to the cemetery of Poperinghe. I myself blessed the place where he was buried and afterwards I buried him with all the ceremonies of the Roman Catholic Church.
 The ambulance authorities, after they had been of an utmost kindness to you dear son, erected a cross on his grave, with his name, rank, and description.
 I would repeat for you consolation the words of Cardinal Mercier, Belgian Bishop, in his last pastoral letter; “If I am asked what I think of the eternal salvation of a brave man, who has consciously given his life in defence of his country and honour…. I shall not hesitate to reply that without any doubt whatever Christ crowns his military valour, and that death, accepted in this Christian spirit, assures the safety of that man’s soul. ””
 I again tender you my sympathy in your bereavement, and will continue to pray for you and your dear son.
 Jerome Brutsaert.
 R. E. , Priest-Belian.
At home at Watou.
Grave or Memorial Reference: II. K. 25. Cemetery: Poperinghe Old Military Cemetery in Belgium.

I have no further information on McCarthy since the publication of the book, sorry. As he was buried in Ireland he could have died here. I have come across soldiers who died in English hospital also being returned home for burial (but only rarely).

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 22:01 BST (UK) »
All I have on Flynn is;
FLYNN, JAMES. Rank: Seaman. Regiment or Service: Royal Naval Reserve. Unit: H. M. S. "Goliath. ” Age at death; 39. Date of Death: 13-May-1915. Service No: 2052D. H. M. S. "Goliath" was sunk by three torpedoes from German destroyer ‘Muvanet-I-Milet’, she blew up and capsized immediately taking 570 of her 750 crew including the Captain to a watery grave. Ten Waterford men died on the ‘Goliath’ that day. Supplementary information; Son of William and Ellen Flynn, of Carballymore, Dunmore East; husband of Martha Flynn, of Carballymore, Dunmore East, Co. Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: 8 on the Plymouth Naval Memorial, UK.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 22:04 BST (UK) »
I have no information on John Scanlon, only on casualties, sorry.
 Tom.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 22:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you Paul, much appreciated, these men will be remembered....finally.
 Tom.