Author Topic: Waterford WW1 lookups available  (Read 73406 times)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterford WW1 lookups available
« Reply #99 on: Monday 11 February 13 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tom,

My Great Gran Uncle was Sgt Denis Timothy Drake (17431) from Ballynoe, Tallow, Co.Waterford he served with the 90th Heavy Bty, Royal Garrison Artillery - my family has only come to know of his existence in the last 3 months. From what I have learned so far he left home to join the army in 1903 and he served with the RGA in South Africa and India. In WW1 he served with the RGA in Gallipoli in 1915, The Somme in 1916 and he was killed in action on June 11th 1917 in Flanders at the Battle of Messines. He is buried in St. Quentin Cabaret Military Cemetery in Belgium. I have only just learned about your book and I do not know if he is listed in it or not however other than a few official records and his death cert we do not have very much on him - would you know of any pictures or articles that he may have been mentioned in? or would you have any suggestions where I could find more out about him?

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Monday 11 February 13 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Here is is from the book. He is not mentioned in any of the Waterford papers of the period. Perhaps a trip to the P.R.O. in Kew is your best step.
DRAKE, DENIS. Rank: Sergeant. Regiment or Service: Royal Garrison Artillery.
Unit; 90th Heavy Battery. Date of Death: 10/06/1917. Age at Death, 33. Service No: 17431. Born in Ballynoe, Waterford. Enlisted in Waterford. while living in Ballyone(sic). Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Edward and Catherine Drake, of Ballynoe, Co. Cork. Grave or Memorial Reference: II. J. 20. Cemetery: St Quentin Cabaret Military Cemetery in Belgium.

Cheers.
 Tom.

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Monday 11 February 13 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tom,

Thanks I will look into that - do you know how I would find the records of the address or the person who his personal affects were sent to? His parents were deceased in 1917 and he had 12 siblings so I am trying to find out who completed his Final Verification Form. 

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Monday 11 February 13 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I do not have this information, Kew is the place for you.
 Tom

Offline tubbers

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Saturday 13 July 13 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I noticed that you were looking for info on Martin Dohney of the Scots Guards.Can you please tell me the reason for your interest as I am related to him.

regards,
                                                          Richard

Offline lenc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 14:41 BST (UK) »

I have been researching a family mystery. His name was Alexander Stewart Wilson died near Arras on 20/4/1917.

Anything you can tell me from your files would be very helpful. :)

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 15:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry old thing I have nothing to add to your information. He is not in the databases, nor is he listed in the Irish Independent or Irish Times Roll of Honour or deaths either. I checked all the usual, Our Heroes, De Ruvigy, Bond of Sacrifice,newspapers, previous books etc
Tom.

Offline lenc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 15:58 BST (UK) »
No worries.thanks for looking!

Offline roger jarvis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Saturday 10 August 13 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi There and good day,
I have just registered with Roots Chat, and this may be the place where i can ask for a bit of help to get more information about my grandfather. according to his British army attestation, his bithplace is Trinity Without, Waterford in 1888. He joined up in Arpril 1907 at Waterford and then went on to Templemore, Tipperary and then over to England. i cannot find him in any registry of births or in the 1901 census when he would have been 13 years old. I know he had an older sister by the name of Mary, who got married  to a Mr Dunne, and resided in Mercer Street in Dublin, at the time he was taken prisoner of war in 1914 at the battle of La Cateau 26 of August. I of course cannot find out who my grandfather's parents were and if he had more brothers and sisters. could you, or do you know how i may be able to shed any light on this

Thanks very much

Roger Jarvis