Author Topic: Newspaper look ups please - Completed  (Read 2562 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newspaper look ups please - Completed
« on: Sunday 27 September 09 16:54 BST (UK) »
Would anybody be willing to look up any newspaper deaths.  There are five all together but any would be appreciated.

I have the newspaper and dates.  All taken from information at Libindx.  Unfortunately there are no grave stone number for any of them.  The deaths were from the 1960s to 1980s.  They may have been cremated.  I wondered if the newspaper death notice would tell me whether cremated or which cemetery buried.  If I get a cemetery I will then phone the Parks Department to see if they can give me a location of the grave.

If Libindx do not quote a grave number mean the person was  cremated or that they just don't have the information.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Betty

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper look ups please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 October 09 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty

If you post the details then maybe someone can find something for you :)

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kirsty for your reply.

I decided to phone the Lairs Department in Elgin to enquire about the grave stones I am looking for and have sent them a letter with the details.  I will wait their reply before putting any more information on the site.

Cheers

Betty

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 November 09 12:18 GMT (UK) »
If Libindx do not quote a grave number mean the person was  cremated or that they just don't have the information.

Bear in mind that not everyone has a headstone, even if they were buried, and that sometimes people who were cremated, or people who are buried elsewhere, are commemorated on a family stone.

The headstone numbering on LIBINDX is the result of a survey of graveyards carried out in 1978/9.

(Notes: The numbers do not relate to any other listing, such as the Lair Books, or the Moray Burial Grounds Research Group or Aberdeen and North of Scotland Family History Society booklets, or the ANESFHS online index of inscriptions. The LIBINDX survey covers all stones readily visible at the time of the survey. The MBGRG lists are much more thorough, because they include some stones which were buried or much harder to read, but they are still a long way from covering all graveyards in Moray.)

The newspaper references were compiled from the various local newspapers, and if the newspaper says that a person was cremated, or which graveyard they were buried in, that is normally included in the LIBINDX entry.

Generally speaking, if the volunteers who are inputting new information can match up a newspaper reference with an existing headstone reference, they do so. However there are still lots of duplicate entries in LIBINDX.

So a newspaper listing without a headstone number could mean either that the person inputting the information did not or could not match the newspaper reference to the headstone reference, or (very much more likely) that there just isn't a headstone.

You cannot assume that a missing headstone means a cremation. Until a few years ago, there was no crematorium nearer than Inverness or Aberdeen, so cremations were the exception rather than the rule.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 November 09 18:45 GMT (UK) »
I have sent you a P.M.
Betty