Author Topic: Looking for information  (Read 2756 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for information
« on: Sunday 27 September 09 16:58 BST (UK) »
I am told that William R. Austin belonged to the Salvation Army, but also took to 'vanishing' for months on end - family joke is that he would go off on his bike and wouldnt be seen for ages - possibly had another family.  
I am also trying to prove/disprove that Phoebe was Elizabeth's illigitimate daughter, but that cant be possible other wise Elizabeth was 5, so must be another Phoebe?  So what happened to the first Phoebe, did she die young or maybe she was just very close to her sister?
William's wife was Mary Austin nee Francis and apparently worked at the Westgate hotel, Newport.  Mary was born 1863 in Michaelchurch, Herefordshire, and married 14 November 1885 Holy Trinity church, Nantyglo, it doesnt give her occupation on her marriage certificate.

regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 September 09 17:08 BST (UK) »
I think you need to look at your dates again

William's wife was Mary Austin nee Francis and apparently worked at the Westgate hotel, Newport.  Mary was born 1863 in Michaelchurch, Herefordshire, and married 14 November 1885 Holy Trinity church, Nantyglo, it doesnt give her occupation on her marriage certificate.

All the children you have listed were born before 1885

Alice 1874 Blaina, Elizabeth 1876 Blaina, William 1879 Blaina, Thomas J 1880 Blaina and Phoebe 1881 Blaina.

If Mary was only born 1863 she would have been 11yrs old when daughter Alice was born
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 September 09 18:11 BST (UK) »
I am looking at it cross eyed  :-X  Thomas John Roberts born 1880, his father was William Roberts and his mother Mary Jane Austin.  Thomas married his cousin Sarah Ann Austin.
Thomas, siblings were: Alice 1874, Elizabeth 1876, Phoebe 1881, William 1879, all born Bedwelty.
William & Mary Jane married 14 July 1873 St Marks Parish Church Llanhileth.

Sarah Austin siblings were Mabel b1880, Violet 1900, Catherine 1898, William ? May ? Margaret ?

Sarah's mother was Mary Austin nee Francis married to William R Austin 14 Nov 1885 Holy Trinity Church, Nantyglo.

I get very confused with these two families as they are very closely tied, William R Austin was the brother of Mary Jane who married William Roberts, Sarah Ann & Thomas John were first cousi

regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern