Author Topic: Tracing Quakers in the Hulbert Family  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Scroller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing Quakers in the Hulbert Family
« on: Sunday 27 September 09 23:49 BST (UK) »
Joseph Hulbert was born in or around Winterbourne about 1790 or 1800.  He worked as a tailor in Winterbourne, and had several children including my g. g. grandfather Henry Hulbert.  I can find no definite information about him in the Winterbourne Parish Records, and he may have been a Quaker.  Is there a good online service for researching Quaker family history?  Can somebody recommend my best strategy for finding out more about Joseph?
John Hulbert

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Quakers in the Hulbert Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 September 09 17:40 BST (UK) »
John,

I do not know if this will help but whilst wandering through the Bristol church records in the LDS library catalogue (Often a useful research resource in itself!) giving  films pertaining to The Society of Friends among the 222 titles, I came across these :-

Registers of the Quarterly Meetings of Bristol and Somersetshire : marriages, 1657-1725, births, 1644-1725 - film No 441490

Supplementary registers of the Society of Friends, v. 1-4 film No 441405

Transcripts of births, marriages, burials, 1644-1832 film No 1597373

Transcripts of the digest copy of the registers of births, marriages and burials, 1644-1837  Fim No 1484609

I suggest you have a look in the LDS library catalogue for details of the films which can he hired and searched at an LDS FHC - they really do have millions of films the masters of which are in a deep cavern in the Rockies and their long term project is to digitize them all and make them available on the net.

Regards

Chas

My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline Caliandris

• RootsChat Extra
  • My great grandmother, Lottie Dickins
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Quakers in the Hulbert Family
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 November 09 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Quaker family history is usually quite easy because they tended to keep good records - not always, but often.

The Library at Friends House, the UK headquarters for the Quakers in Britain, has a guide to genealogy which can be seen on this page of their website:
http://www.quaker.org.uk/subject-guides
the link to the genealogy factsheet pdf is a little way down the page.

The local records for meetings are deposited at the appropriate local county record office, but there is an index for the records which was made centrally and this is available on microfilm at Friends House Library, as explained in the PDF.

However, there is also an amazing book called Quakers in Commerce and Industry from 1775-1920, and most of the Quakers involved in selling or making things will be listed in there along with a great deal of detail.  I have looked up Hulbert in the book and there don't seem to be any. 

Hope you get a good lead for the Hulberts!
bws
Fee
Spivey, Hughes, Jones Carmarthen 19th c
Spivey, Armitage in Almondbury, Yorkshire 18th c
Dickins Staffordshire and Birmingham 18th and 19th c
Aldridge, Robey, Jearrad in London 18th and 19th
Pitt and Westlake Devon 17th and 18th c
Earwaker London and Hampshire 18th and 19th
Fitzpatrick in The Rower, Kilkenny, Ireland
Clarke, Hewitt, Starkey, Green in Cheshire 19th and 20th