Author Topic: MAGOOLAGHAN, Co.Down  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Duvessa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MAGOOLAGHAN, Co.Down
« on: Monday 28 September 09 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi I too am trying to trace my Great Great Grandfathers birth in Ireland, Henry Magoolaghan born 1836 married a Mary Ann Kelly in Liverpool in 1868, he was a stoker in the gas works in Liverpool but was from County Down. I have found another Henry in the wills for Belfast who died two years before my relation.

My Henry's father was Patrick, and I have a story and poem recorded in the downpatrick recorder in 1837 about the shipwreck of the Coer de Lion at Dundrum Bay.  Patrick Magoolaghan and George Starkey were drowned trying to save the crew.  Patrick left a widow with five children and I believe that my Henry may have been the baby, but I have no proof other than the dates relate and his father is shown as Patrick deceased when Henry got married.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have picked up a lot of the births and marriages for the other Magoolaghans but cannot find anything about the names of the orphans.  My Father is 83 this year and I took him to Tyrella last year but had no real evidence to show him.  I would love to fill in the gaps........ I telephoned the Church at Killyleagh and no records, they suggested the RC church at Crossgar, or Dundrum but I am in Wales.  Are there any parish records on line going back to the mid 1850s?  Thank you

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: MAGOOLAGHAN, Co.Down
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 September 09 12:22 BST (UK) »
Dundrum RC records are microfilmed and available at PRONI from 1854.  According to my sources the earliest records at Crossgar are still held at the Churchso you will need to contact them directly.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 September 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
have you seen Ros davies entries in her co down website
use google its a rootsweb free website
McGOULAGHAN . Tyrella in a small boat, tried to herd whales onto the beach 14 May 1853 WDG p224
Miss Elizabeth MAGOOLAGHAN . Ballykinler married John Branagan 31 Jul 1889 at Catholic Church  EA/CR
Patrick McGOOLAGHAN . Tyrella assisted in the rescue of people from wrecked 'Coeur de Lion' 10 Sep 1837; drowned leaving a wife & 5 children WDG p151
try raymonds co down and with that spelling variation have you really exhausted famiy search etccheck sources out on Ros davies above
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 September 09 19:39 BST (UK) »
the 1911 census has a margaret born c 1833, single, living with her nephew or neice Smyth at no 3 dunsford
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Mabes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 September 09 21:42 BST (UK) »
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Hope some of these help.  Mabes.

Offline Duvessa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 October 09 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone thank you for your help.

I have the info on Ros Davies site.  I know have info on a lot of Magoolaghans, but I just cant place My GGGrandfather Henry into the family at the moment.  Because he was born so early in 1833 he doesnt figure when you google or do Ulster Ancestry.

I will try the records at Crossgar thanks to see if I can get anything there.

I also have the 1911 Census showing Eliza living with the Cunninghams as a boarder.  They Magoolaghans seem to have a history of marrying Cunninghams.  I was told the Magoolaghans owned Tyrella Beach at one time, but reading an old book about down and Castellwellyn I noticed a paragraph that said that the cunninghams owned Tyrella Beach at the turn of the century.

Kind Regards

Bernadette

Offline bmulvaney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 December 23 11:26 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace Magoolaghan / McGoolaghan / McGoulaghan in Killough / Bright / Dunsfort / Tyrella areas of  County Down Northern Ireland. My great grandmother was Mary Magoolaghan born abt 1846 died 1890 and is buried in Legamaddy cemetery

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Some of the parish registers for that area don't start till the 1850's, refer to https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0398 and https://www.findmypast.com/articles/ireland-roman-catholic-parish-baptisms-parish-list
it is free to search (also indexed on Ancestry).
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/blog/family-records/10-million-new

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 12:34 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

My great grandmother was Mary Magoolaghan born abt 1846 died 1890 and is buried in Legamaddy cemetery

No Magoolaghans currently indexed on FindAGrave in Legamaddy cemetery.
https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2667925/st-patrick's-legamaddy-cemetery

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo