Author Topic: What happened to Worthy CROOK  (Read 8347 times)

Offline stickychoc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Worthy CROOK
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 07 March 19 08:54 GMT (UK) »
i can tell you straight away that henry and mary wiltshire are my direct ancestors, if my research is correct. My July myself and my cousin are meeting up in glos records office to find more.... I have a few names beyond henry and mary but I have only so far assumed they are correct based on the fact that there were no other plausible options. I did my tree myself and it has matched with other's who have the same lines, so suspect I'm in the right direction. Happy to share what I know if you want it. (Though email would be easier). Cheers H

Offline stickychoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 07 March 19 08:58 GMT (UK) »
oh, and since I live in Melksham, when I am able, I'll see if he has a headstone in the church, the Crooks were a wealthy family... I'm sure I've seen 1, but not sure which Worthy it belongs to.  H

Offline Scrook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 07 March 19 09:30 GMT (UK) »
thats great thanks I’m happy to share what I have too, I haven’t gone much further back than Stephen as I’ve only been doing this about 6 months. 
I got engrossed/side tracked in the mining history especially as I live in the same village they lived and worked in.  4 relatives were killed altogether in mining accidents here, so finding out about them has been quite interesting and quite sad.  I’m fascinated that I could quite possibly be walking down the street that they walked to work on.
I don’t have any photos of them, my relatives were the youngest so suspect if there’s any pics the oldest members of the family inherited them.  But I do have photos of the mines and local area.
I’m on ancestry too, my tree isn’t private, so search under Susan Crook and it should pop up.

Have any of you done dna test?

Sue

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 07 March 19 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Sue.

Is it your Stephen (Stephen Lovell Crook) that married Hester Cantle in Keynsham 29 July 1833  :-\
I can see three birth registrations of children of Stephen & Hester (Aaron 1838 & 1839) and (Elizabeth Mash 1844) which give mothers maiden surname as Cantle / Cautle /Cantell

Stephen Lovell Crook was christened at Abson 19 Jan 1812 son of Abraham (aka Absalom)& Martha.

Absalom & Martha also appear to have moved to Wales.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scrook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 07 March 19 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes that’s my Stephen, Absolom and Abraham, my (direct line) grandparents x 3, 4 and 5.
The middle name Lovell has shown up a couple of times too.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 07 March 19 12:31 GMT (UK) »
As for Worthy Crook baptised at Melksham 5 October 1817 -

His parents were Henry Crook baptised 19th April 1778 @ Woodchester, Gloucestershire and Mary Wiltshire. They married 8th September 1796 at Melksham.

Henrys parents were William Crook and Elizabeth Hill who married in Woodchester 21 Oct 1777.

Some trees claim that this William died in Melksham in 1837.  However the death certificate for that William states William Crook died 27th November 1837 age 66 years, Informant Ann Crook - Widow of Shails Lane.  This would give him a date of birth of c1777  ???

I do not know of a DNA test being done by any descendants of this Worthy

Offline Scrook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 07 March 19 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie99

A ‘Worthy Crook’ has come up on my dna.  I just don’t know how he’s connected to ‘my Crooks’ yet, I haven’t got back that far.  I’ve attached what’s come up on my dna search under gedcom gen.
my understanding is if you search under your number for a name - what comes up is connected to your dna (I think? that’s how it works?).
Also doing a search on Henry has come up with 11 children which means a lot of searching to find the connection.
Regards Sue

Offline stickychoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 07 March 19 14:36 GMT (UK) »
i have done my dna, its on ancestry. my tree is also open, skuse family tree. I'm I have a death certificate for every person in my direct line that is available, Rosie may have just proved me wrong in my research. I will check.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 08 March 19 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Sue, It looks as though your Absalom Crook was born c1783 in Melksham to Ann Crook (Possibly a single parent)

The fact that he had Bax added as a middle name suggests that the father of Absalom could be ....Bax.  If he is to be related to Worthy we would need to track his mother Ann. 

Worthys father Henry had a sister Ann baptised in Woodchester, Gloucestershire in March 1781 so we can rule her out.  I have not managed to find Henry's father (William)'s birth. He married in Woodchester but there is no evidence he was born there. His wife Elizabeth Hill was born in Woodchester, her father was Henry Hill.