Author Topic: Wealthy/politically influential Jewish family Guildford area 1930s  (Read 3765 times)

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Wealthy/politically influential Jewish family Guildford area 1930s
« on: Wednesday 30 September 09 09:42 BST (UK) »
Would anyone happen to know the possible identity or location of a wealthy and politically influential Jewish family in the Guildford area in the 1930s?

As a young man, my late father worked as a parlour man for this family until he enlisted for the army in early 1939. All I know is that his employer only employed male staff and that he hosted meetings between members of the British political ruling class and influential Jewish politicians, which leads me to believe that the host may himself have been Jewish. I assume these would have been discussions regarding the creation of the Israeli state and the Palestinian question. My father met Ben-Gurion or, rather, served him (and claimed he tipped well). I am making an assumption about the location - it may have been in a wider area - mainly based on the fact that my father was lodging in Guildford and had worked for Perkins Radio Service in High Street, Guildford.

I have been in touch with a researcher from Ben-Gurion University in Israel but I think they are more interested in important political figures that Ben-Gurion may have met while in England. I thought I would try to build up some information for myself and see if that results in any leads worth following up.

Any help much appreciated.

Clive
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wealthy/politically influential Jewish family Guildford area 1930s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 12:40 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Have you looked into the history/activities of the Zionist movement in England in the 30's.  Seems likely that the man you are looking for may have been prominent in that organization.  There is a Zionist UK website.  May be useful.

Jann

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Wealthy/politically influential Jewish family Guildford area 1930s
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 17:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion.

I may be wrong about the family having Zionist connections of course. Some more research has thrown up some interesting but circumstantial lines for me to follow. One of the people closely involved in the Israeli nation issue in the 1930s was Lord Passfield (Sidney Webb) in his role as British Colonial Secretary. He was married to Beatrice Webb, who was a campaigner on behalf of women's rights and who may well have refused to employ female domestic staff. They lived near to Guildford at Passfield Corner near Liphook, which takes my enquiry into Hampshire territory. It is also possible that many of these meetings remained secret.

There is much published material on these negotiations, so I suppose it is just a case of wading through it and hoping to find some strand of evidence.

Clive

Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk