Author Topic: Help interpreting 1911 census Stoke upon Trent  (Read 3822 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help interpreting 1911 census Stoke upon Trent
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 15:42 BST (UK) »
And finally - you could try the Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent Archive Service www.archives.staffordshire.gov.uk  to see if there are any records of the Boarding-out Committee for that time..

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0775/

Good Luck

Milly ;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 16:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much!!   the automatic messaging was not working I didn't realize I had so many replies.

I dare not copy any of the census then.

The actual two lines are:

...................................................................... Visitor.......................................................
Dono                                                               Boarding
Winifred   Stepdaugher   Widow    F   33        Out                Hanley
Austen                                                            Wether           Staffordshire   
                                                                       Union
                                                                       Order 1910
.......................................................................................................................................

Dono
George   Grandson            Single   M  7                                    Hanley
Edward                                                                                   Staffordshire

.............................................................................................................................................

I think the idea of it being within sounds likely

will check the other links now.

Many thanks

Steven
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 16:05 BST (UK) »
LOL, well you've transcribed it, so you might as well crop a piece of the page.

ArranRoots is the Moderator who OK'ed it......
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Steven

You mentioned she had other children.  Were these also by her husband John Dono?  I can't see any likely births for these...do you have names? Or were they after what i presume is her 2nd marriage in 1915...?

Sep 1915    Stoke T.    6b   607
Dono    Winifred A    Brindley Charles H   

Milly ;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Milly

Just the one child on the 1911 census, but according to my cousins she had a child John c1901, but there are two born that year.   I think I have accounted for them two.   The name is misspelt quite a lot so am not sure, but it seems George Edward is definitely her son at least.

From what's been said I find it odd that the head of the house is William Langley and he is an Assurance Agent, his son Frederick Langley is an Engineer's Fitter.

So I wouldn't have thought she and the child were destitute.

Steven

Moderator comment: image removed.  From this thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355485.0.html

you may not ......post screen-shots of 1911 site which include the transcription or search results
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 16:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry here is the index for first marriage

Q3 1902 John Edward Dono + Winifred Austin Jackson   Stoke T.    6b   398

Death of John Q2 1906  John Edward Dono   28    Stoke T    6b   106

Thanks

Steven

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 16:48 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the word 'wether' is a mistranscription for 'under'?  It's really annoying that you have to pay so much more to see the original, when the transcriptions are often inaccurate.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 18:18 BST (UK) »
Do you just have the transcription of the 1911 entry.  You would need to look at the handwriting on the original to see if it is more likely to be a mis-transcription of "within" (or "under" as Lesleyhannah suggests) - but it does seem quite possible.

It does seem odd they were getting help from the poor law union.  Perhaps it had something to do with her being his step-daughter rather than his natural daughter. Perhaps he was a very cunning assurance agent who knew how to work the system. Perhaps she had mental health problems that made her a special case...endless possibilities.   But a bit of digging into the Poor Law records at the archive may uncover something for her (if you are very lucky) or at least some explanation of who was entitled to help and why.

Or perhaps another post on Rootschat asking if there are any poor law experts who may have something to add might be worth a try.

Not sure about the other child.  Presumably before her marriage he would have been called Jackson - but they may have used another of the surnames - Langley, Dono or even Austin (where did that come from?).  And he may have died but could by then have been using any of these names ???

Good luck

Milly

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 18:48 BST (UK) »
I think this is one case where I'd pay the money to see the original census - grumbling very loudly about it though! It may throw some light on the strange transcription